Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lowering ping on xbox 360

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smilezrcool

smilezrcool

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

does anyone know how i can lower my ping on my xbox 360s for online gaming?  i did a speed test from speedtest.net and ping runs from 73-105 ms.  i have heard that the lower the ping the better the online gaming experience.  i have att elite internet service and a 2wire gateway router. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 william land

william land

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

i had the same problem. i also have att u-verse and a 2 wire R. i also had a ping of about 75. now what i did is approved by 50/50 . it doesnt hurt anything but some say its more for companies rather than a home, but what you dont know is that att and the 2wire R. has a lot of securities, ( firewalls)  your ip address  from your Router that sends the gate way to your computers internet, ( 360 )  internet.  so what you can do which is what i said is a 50 / 50 thing. it cost 15$ extra a month with att. its called a static ip address. you see what happens when we turn on our xbox it finds an ip address and uses it, but when some one turns on the computer or runs wifi it will also looks for a solid ip address, which will slow it down.the normal ip address for the xbox or it  will change , if the computer is turned on first it will pick up the strongest ip address, so the xbox will get the second ip address or they will share it, this will also cause a lag or high ping on the xbox , 75 to 105 is not a high ping, not even a concern until it hits 200, but a lower ping is always best, when you have att create a static ip, they will have you turn on your xbox after they create it . the best way to check it is to, play black ops two. after to go to live and your profile is signed in go to game options, you will see a thing on the bottom right of the screen that says system info. press select on your controller. it will show you you external and internal ip address, bandwidth and other things. your band width needs to be high for great game play. mine is 9,000, point is, the staic ip will give the xbox its own ip address which will never change or share and internet strength.... with the static ip address on tell att you want to turn all firewalls off, leave it wide open. and you can also call 1800 4myxbox, talk to live and they will check your settings from your router and make sure there are no problems,  before my staic ip my ping was 79 since i got the static ip my ping is now 49, and i have no issusessssss. or lag, and my game play is so much better.  if you need futher help e mail me @   wlandrethfamily@yahoo.com ill help you any way i can

#3 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

Ping is the time it takes for your xbox to talk to a server and back.

This is entirely dependent on your internet. It is different from your bandwidth too, so you can have 500 mb/s download and 10 mb/s upload, but still have 100 ping. It doesn't matter whether or not you have high bandwidth.

Ping issues can be cause by routing issues or firewall issues. More than likely its that you just live far away from a server :(

Unofficial iOS Genius

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

I tend to put my xbox in whats called the DMZ through my router, this opens up the xbox so it is not behind a firewall, and all ports are completely open, now if you enter your information frequently this can be an issue, but as long as you monitor your account you should be ok. (this can lead to hackers digging up information, so dont buy things via your xbox unless your account is already tied to a card, and thigns like that, just dont enter information on the xbox itself.

I have found this to help lower my ping. and makes things overall faster, but like Felipe said, it is determined by ISP more than anything.

#5 smilezrcool

smilezrcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:32 AM

my 2wire gateway modem has died and now i have a hetgear 7550 modem and gamplay seems better and my ping seems to be around 57.

#6 smilezrcool

smilezrcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

now for the last two weeks my ping has been around 89.  whats up with that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users