Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games keep freezing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hi, a week ago a few of my big processor-heavy PC games suddenly started freezing for no apparent reason after about 15 minutes of play (Arma2/Arrowhead/Age of Empire) despite running fine for a couple of years, and I have to switch off the PC to get out of the freeze.

.I ran CCleaner, AVG and Adaware and re-installed the games but the freeze problem remains.

My other games are unaffected and run fine. Any suggestions as to what I can try next?

The only possible clue I can think of is that my Google Earth started running jerkily about the same time the game freezes began, so perhaps GE did one of its automatic updates and may have triggered the freezes in some way? 

My machine specs-

specssmallpc.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

I've solved it by uninstalling Google Earth, so it seems I was right, the latest GE v 7 auto-update messed up my system somehow and caused the games to freeze!

I've now re-installed an older GE v 5 which doesn't affect the games, and I've also selected the GE "Do not auto-update" box..:)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Glad you resolved it, thanks for the feedback.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Just to add:- Goog Earth might not have been fully responsible after all, as the local computer shop diagnosed "overheating" as causing the freezes, so they replaced a small area of old paste that separates some components and it seems to have done the trick, apparently the old paste had gone brittle and lost its heat-insulating properties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users