Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD-ROM Device (not installed) -- attempting to boot to the CD-ROM

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ClearFocus

ClearFocus

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Working on an old Dell Optiplex for a friend. Here's the setup:

WinXP Pro

Disk 0 -- 18 GB SCSI (Adaptec 29160N add-on card)
Disk 1 -- 120 GB SATA
Disk 2 -- 1 TB SATA

CD-ROM -- IDE

Disk 0 is setup as the 18GB Page File using a SCSI adapter (for some reason).
Disk 1 is setup as the boot HDD w/ the OS and is on SATA via a add-on SATA Card.
Disk 2 is setup as a Data Drive with no programs installed and is SATA setup on the same add-on SATA Card as Disk 1.
CD-ROM is setup on IDE1 (out of IDE1 and IDE2) and has no jumper being used.

When I go into the BIOS and look at the Boot Sequence, it shows CD-ROM Device (not installed).
When I go into F12 it doesn't list the CD-ROM device whatsoever.

When I choose the CD-ROM Device (not installed) as the first boot device thru the bios and attempt to boot, it simply comes up and says not boot device available and press F1 to try again or F2 for bios.

Been a while since I worked on a system this old and on one with a SCSI add-on card and HDD, two SATA drives on a add-on card, and a CD-ROM that is IDE.

How do I make the bios detect the CD-ROM as installed so I can boot from it and perform a factory re-install w/ disk?

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

The lack of jumpers on the IDE optical drive is slightly suspicious to me.  You might want to pull out the optical drive to see if you can see the jumper label (most IDE drives have some sort of diagram on them to tell you the correct jumper settings for Cable Select, Master, & Slave, etc).  This should be able to tell you if the lack of jumpers makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users