Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with new Outlook.com

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 countrygirl5

countrygirl5

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

I was referred to this website a few minutes ago, so please forgive me for any mistakes, as I'm new.

I'm going to copy my post from another forum....

I literally have a continuous headache from all this ridiculousness regarding the "upgrade" (which is really a "downgrade") of Hotmail to Outlook.

I have searched and searched through the forums on Microsoft, and of course, have not found any sufficient answers. All I can find is moderators who avoid what the users are asking and only give answers that have nothing to do with the actual problem the user has posted about. It is beyond frustrating.

So, here I am, hoping someone on this site can help.

Obviously, until Microsoft has enough users complain and/or switch services, I can't do anything to change the "update" they forced us to make. So, I might as well try to find answers to some of the actual issues that I think there might be a solution to.

When I first logged into my email today, Outlook was automatically receiving new emails (showing the number of new messages beside "Outlook" on the title of the window), but soon after, it quit. Now, I have to click the refresh icon in the Inbox just to know if I have any new message or not. As I said, this was working correctly when I first logged into Outlook. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I'm using Internet Explorer 9 and do not know of any plugins that would be contributing to the problem.

Also, is there a way to get rid of that "Add to Contacts" box that pops up at the bottom of your Inbox every time you send a message to someone not in your Contacts? The only way I can figure out how to get rid of it is refresh the page.

As for the automatic Messenger sign-in, I've found a half-working solution to that (adding the geo/gateway link to Restricted Sites), but if anyone has any tips on how to fully disable that, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help! I'm sure you'll be more of a help than Microsoft ever has been.

Edited by countrygirl5, 29 March 2013 - 08:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 countrygirl5

countrygirl5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

After searching and searching some more, I came across a post stating something about notifications only working with Messenger. So, I went and removed the blocked sites from the Restricted Sites tab and now notifications work. But, this also means that Messenger is no longer disabled.

These are the 3 links I had in Restricted Sites....

gateway.messenger.live.com
geo.gateway.messenger.live.com
geo.messenger.services.live.com

Does anyone know if there is a way to at least halfway disable Messenger (like I was before) and still receive new mail notifications? Notifications being the "Outlook (2)" that pops up as the title on the window bar when you have 2 new messages.

Thanks for any help! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users