Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell D630 battery shows charging but isnt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maxs40

maxs40

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

I have a dell d630 laptop i bought a new battery and new charger and the thing wont charge

>>>here is what ive done<<<<

plug up power cord with battery installed the green light comes on and after a few minutes it goes out the battery indicator says pluged in charging but the percentage never goes up it will boot with a battery and no power hooked up and it will boot without a battery and a power cord hooked up...bios says battery is functioning normal and so is the charger i have another d630 that it will charge the battery with the new charger so its not the battery because i have 2 new ones and they both do the same thing in this laptop but not the other 1 it has to be the charging circuit on the motherboard but if i knew what was bad on the board i could change it can someone help me with this problem?

oh and if you try to charge it with the laptop powered down the green light comes on for a few min and goes out again and also the bios says charging but its not charging at all...

thank you...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maxs40

maxs40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

found the problem cold solder joint at the charge port...

#3 critprod45ss

critprod45ss

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

I think your battery is good. But your charger is problem. Some times did in my laptop also. Then i change my charger and now my charging problem fixed. So you try it by another one. I think you will understand about the problem.

#4 maxs40

maxs40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

i found the problem i posted above (cold solder joint) in the charging circuit on the mobo .... if you would read the first post again i stated battery and charger are new and everything works fine in a different same model laptop i have and the laptop described with the trouble works with battery and no charger hooked or the other way arround no battery and charger hooked up and with both but the percentage charge wouldnt go up so no not battery or charger it was a problem with the mobo charging circuit a cold solder joint on 1 of the resistors...

#5 Howard_Woodard

Howard_Woodard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:54 PM

maxs40

Could you provide a little more information about where you found the cold solder joint?

I have the exact symptom you describe and have already tried several solutions, including new a/c adapter charger and two new batteries, to no avail and now would like to try your solution.

I'm fairly handy with various soldering techniques so this would be easy enough to try if I knew which solder joint I was looking for.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by Howard_Woodard, 23 August 2013 - 10:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users