Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Chassis Vibration

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 moviegeek71

moviegeek71

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 that I use for an HTPC and the back chassis has a horribly loud vibration (circled in red in the picture). It is the grille for the CPU fan that rattles and it is very loud, I can hear it in the next room. It puts a serious damper on my Netflix viewing.

The whole rear chassis does not vibrate but just the grille (the part made up of holes) in the back. I have tried to bend it with a screw driver, I gave it a love tap, and I gave it a hard hammer hit... each time the noise would go away for a few hours at most and come back again.

I am at my wits end here and it annoys me something awful. Any ideas on what to do?

29okbqe.jpg

Edited by hamluis, 12 April 2013 - 03:33 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

There's not really much purpose in guessing, one way or another you'll have to open up the case and find out what is actually causing it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

From what I've observed in the past it is quite likely that the Fan itself is bad. If so that becomes a bit of a problem. What I remember is that it uses a non standard connector, Also it is easy to break the rubber fan mounts and motherboard complains unless you use the right fan.

Open the case and make sure where the noise is coming from. Also hitting it with a hammer is contraindicated. You could damage the hard drive that way,

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 moviegeek71

moviegeek71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

Okay, thanks. I have an 8300 for parts and also two 4700 (similar chassis) that I can use, so hopefully it will be as simple as a fan replacement.

The bearings in the fan on the PSU would roar also, I had to replace that not too long ago.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

As I remember it the 8300 is a bigger computer and opens like a clamshell where as the 4700 the side comes off. The 4700s were a decent quality as far as I know.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 moviegeek71

moviegeek71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

My mistake, I have so many Dell computers, I got mixed up. You are correct, the 4700 is similar to the 2400.

I meant to say it was a 4300, the 8300 and 4300 have the same "clam shell" chassis, just that the 4300 is lower specs.

Needless to say, I have 3 or 4 fans to source.

#7 moviegeek71

moviegeek71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

I wedged a piece of card board between the two chassis halves and the noise has went away for now. If/when it comes back, I'll take it apart then.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

Sometimes it is just packing that's needed.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 moviegeek71

moviegeek71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:00 AM

Yeah, it seems that the two chassis halves were just vibrating on each other, when I put a small piece of card board between them the noise has gone away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users