Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

powerboost flashdrive on ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 intaki

intaki

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

Do you have to reactivate powerboost after removing the flashdrive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

Powerboost...as in Comcast powerboost? The temporary increase in download speed on the

front end of large downloads?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

Peace:
This is called Readyboost in Windows. I am trying to use a flashdrive to speed up my machine.
OS is Ubuntu 12.04LTS.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,517 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

Okay...so you created a swap file on a flash drive and you are asking if you remove the

flash drive if Ubuntu will find the flash drive and use it as swap automatically without you

recreating the swap file on the flash drive when you plug it back in....right?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

Peace

Thanks for your response. I am an Absolute Beginner so

please bear with me.

Yes. I created the swap file. When I reboot,  Ubuntu

recognizes the drive in the home folder. I am supposed

to have 512MB Ram, but machine recognizes 432MB.

My plan was to use the powerboost flashdrive(4g) to

speed things up.

I am floundering around in the Ubuntu Sea, but i'm

keeping my head up. aki

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,517 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

The only thing I can think of is that your comp assigns the "missing" 80mb to the graphics hardware.

I looked at another topic of yours and see that your comp is a Dell Optiplex GX110. Checking

at Crucial, 512mb of RAM is all your GX110 will support. That nixes my suggesting you get more RAM.

You haven't said whether or not the swap file you created on the flash drive is being used by Ubuntu.

#7 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

Peace

this computer is K8V-MX series.. The gx110 is recycled.

How can I tell if the swap file is being used? in sysinfo, the

Memory Info shows- Memory Total 432 MiB 16% free

Swap total 661MiB  62% free

Edited by intaki, 31 March 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,517 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

I don't know how to tell for sure which swap file is being used...hdd or flash drive

K8V-MX series seems to be part of an Asus mother board model. Looking at a couple of

those your mother board may support up to 2 GB of memory. That would be the best

way to increase your comp's efficiency...speed.

To verify the above you can have Crucial to scan your comp and recommend memory.

You will need to run the scan in Windows...not Ubuntu.

Use the Crucial System Scanner software to find out what type of memory is in your computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users