Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound gets choppy, Video lags, then PC freezes.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AddictedPro

AddictedPro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

I decided to save some money and gain some knowledge by building my first ever PC. After successfully completing it and turning it on it worked fine for a couple of months but now I have a problem.

At first, my audio gets choppy and slow, almost instantly, my video lags, then my keyboard and mouse stop responding, then my PC goes into total lockdown and freezes, and I usually have to hit the power button and wait 30 mins because if I hit the reset button it boots up and shortly does the same thing.

This happens usually while I'm playing video games and even when I'm simply watching a YouTube video. I'm a little worried that everytime this happens I'm damaging my pc it has happened around 50+ times around a couple months.

Here are my specs:

Operating System: 

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU:

AMD FX-8150 21 °C

RAM:

8.00 GB Dual-Channel Ballistix DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard:

BIOSTAR Group TA970XE (CPU 1) 26 °C

Graphics:

DELL ST2220L (1920x1080 60Hz)

HP vs17 (1920x1080 60Hz)

1024MB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA) 44 °C

Hard Drives:

466GB Seagate ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C
186GB Seagate ST3200827AS ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
1.00GB NULL (NULL)

Optical Drives:

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB ATA Device

Audio:

ASUS Xonar DS Audio Device

Case:

Diablotek EVO Mid-Tower ATX

Hopefully someone can help. Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 29 March 2013 - 05:55 PM.
Moved from System Building to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

Last time you ran the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition?

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.  Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.  Reboot, command will execute before booting into Windows.

Last time you defragged the Windows partition?

What PSU is installed?

Please run following diagnostic on each hard drive, long/extended test.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/202435en

If diagnostic is unable to complete, please write down onscreen error message.  If diagnostic completes, write down functional status provided.

Louis

#3 AddictedPro

AddictedPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

I ran chkdsk /r a while back when the problem first occured, but I will do it again and will also defragment by windows partition. My PSU is a Thermaltake TR2 500W. I will reply with the results, Thanks.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Does it only do this in certain games or applications?  Is your motherboard's BIOS up-to-date?  Did you run Memtest and Prime95 after building?  Did you reuse any old components from other PC's?

Hard freezes like that are notoriously difficult to fix as they often happen in such a way to prevent a memory dump or error message from displaying.

3939.png

#5 AddictedPro

AddictedPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Does it only do this in certain games or applications?  Is your motherboard's BIOS up-to-date?  Did you run Memtest and Prime95 after building?  Did you reuse any old components from other PC's?

Hard freezes like that are notoriously difficult to fix as they often happen in such a way to prevent a memory dump or error message from displaying.

I play 2 games most of the time and I have times where I play 24 hours and i run smoothly, and other times I last around 10-20mins. This also sometimes seems to happen whenever I watch YouTube videos. My motherboard is up-to-date and did not reuse any components beside 1 HDD which I formatted before I build this PC.

I will run Memtest and Prime95 for 6 hours and post results.

Edited by AddictedPro, 01 April 2013 - 09:41 PM.

#6 AddictedPro

AddictedPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

Louis, I ran the Long/Extended Test and found an error on one of the two HDDs, it was the one with my Windows Partition. I ran chkdsk on both drives and found the bad sectors that probably caused the test to fail on that drive. Now Im running the SeaTools testat the moment and will post my results.

I would like to mention that when I ran chkdsk and it found the bad sectors, I later shut down my computer and didn't turn it on in about two days.The next time I booted my pc, I froze while watching a YouTube video around 30mins after startup.

EDIT* The test finished and the same HDD failed again, SeaTools recommended me to download a "SeaToolsDOS" ISO to burn to a disk and run before startup to fix the HDD and I will run it overnight.

Edited by AddictedPro, 01 April 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#7 AddictedPro

AddictedPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

After many tests, here are my results:

Both HDD's are now fixed with no bad sectors and both passed the test

I ran Memtest and passed it.

I ran Prime95 overnight and passed it.

Unfortunately, I was browsing Facebook a moment ago and it froze with the same problem. Any Idea what could be causing it?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

If situation only occurs when browser is used...well, I'd either reset the browser or try a different one to see if the effect occurs with any browser used.

FWIW:  I've never known any diagnostic...to fail then later pass a drive.  Bad sectors are so common that I don't believe that any hard drive diagnostic will fail a drive for such.  I believe that the diagnostic merely marks the sectors as unuseable, but the appearance of bad sectors can indicate a problem with how the drive itself is functioning.

Louis

#9 damando

damando

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

could also just be a program that was installed and is not compatable

#10 snouk

snouk

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

i am having the same problems, except i have a laptop, i use virtual audio cable, i have deleted this program and now my sound and pc do not lag.

Edited by snouk, 12 December 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#11 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

Try switching out the hard drive that failed and re install windows 7 on it. That might be your fix. Is everything up to date on your computer too? Including drivers?

Good luck

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#12 howiem9

howiem9

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

I took a can of compressed air, cleaned the filters in my notebook computer and got rid of the problem which has not reoccurred in3 months

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users