Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cb Radio

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:58 PM

I know this isn't a computer question but it is electronic... I was just wondering I have this portable CB Radio and currently I have a speaker in it but not headphone jack. I was wondering if there is a way to install a headphone jack (btw the warranty is over so I can open it) and add the headphone jack and if possible have it mute the speaker when I plug in my headphones... and would I also be able to do this with a microphone so I would be able to use like a headset or something...

If I can do this cheap it will save me having to buy new radios

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wiringlunatic

wiringlunatic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:59 PM

Wow, I can't believe I found a question that I can actually answer on this forum. The answer is absolutely. As long as the jack(s) have 3 terminals. If you want them both on one jack for a headset, it requires a 5 terminal jack. If you put them both on one jack, the terminal that contacts the stem of the plug must be the ground terminal of both the mike and the speaker, probably also chassis ground. That's IF they share a common ground. If not, one jack isn't possible that I know of. There are two terminals for the tip and two for the center (if applicable) one is in and one is out. The package should identifiy them. If you wire them backwards, the speaker/mike will shut off when the plug is inserted, but they will not work. Switch the wires. I did this on a TV years ago, but not with both mike and speaker. Also, I'm not sure how well a standard headset will work -- it may depend on the impedance of both the original mike and the headset. If memory serves me, some headsets may use condenser mikes that require DC power to work and CB mikes don't, but I'm not sure on this one. You will also still need to key the mike to talk. If I can help you any more with this, PM me. I rarely look through the forums. Good luck and God Bless.

wiringlunatic

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:06 PM

Well I will just post it here so that other people can respond...

Ok so what I think I will do is try to find some diagrams of the inside of my cb radio... then I was thinking what I could do is just wire in a switch that I can choose between speaker and earphones... then wire the jack to the switch and try to disconnect the speaker attach that wire to the switch and run another one to the speaker...

Do you think this would work?...

BTW what could you suggest if I want to get new radios... I was hoping to get one with like the "Secret Service" headset and palm mike (this is to do security at a LAN Party :thumbsup:) and if I can't get this on CB what else would I be able to get this on...

#4 wiringlunatic

wiringlunatic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:13 PM

I don't think a switch is really necessary. Most jacks have a built it switch. When the plug goes in, the contacts separate. Also, you may find that if you look inside the set you will find that there is a common chassis ground that ties to both the mike and speaker and your question will be answered. Also, check your manual -- CB manufacturers are better than most about giving schematics out in the manuals. PM agin if I can help. Good luck and God Bless.

wiringlunatic

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:24 PM

Well the prob is that I don't have the manuals anymore :thumbsup:

Like I said do you have any good recommendations for a good system for like a covert, secret service, FBI system that be and a couple of guys can use at our LAN Party, we already got the black suits and we just need the equipement...

Nothing like catching a cheater and calling code read over the radios... we tried cobras last time but with the noise from a party that we had to share the room with we had to scream in the things and could barely here anything on the other end.

#6 wiringlunatic

wiringlunatic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:37 PM

Sorry, I didn't read the end of your post very well. Actually, there's so much garbage on the 29 MHz band where CBs operate, you're probably better off with the newer high frequency radios. The local ACE hardware store here uses exactly what you're describing to keep the employees in contact with each other (which is sort of pointless in a small store that you can easily be heard from end to end by simply speaking loudly and that is never crowded) I'll try to remember to check what brand they are next time I'm in there and tell you. Good luck, have fun, and God Bless.

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:48 PM

Thanks going to look into that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users