Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stops at mup.sys driver and freezes at Setup is Starting Windows

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 RunnerofBears

RunnerofBears

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...and yes I did try turning it off and then turning it back on.

Running a laptop..Dell Latitude D520...the hard drive failed and was replaced with a similar one. Windows was installed with accompanying drivers and ran fine for several months. I am not aware of any changes to the system but it now will not boot all the way through.

If I run it normal the bars freeze on the Windows screen and running in safe mode it freezes at Mup.sys driver. I also tried repairing with XP reinstall CD and it will boot and run the CD but stalls at "Setup is Starting WIndows" screen. I let it sit for several hours on the screen and it never changed.

I ran diagnostics and everything passed. I am not getting any error codes.

If you have any suggestions of can help in any way I would appreciate it. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrob

mrob

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

This seems to be a problem with several possible causes.  Try this routine:

http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mupdotsysXPhang.html

#3 RunnerofBears

RunnerofBears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply.

ok...here is what i did so far..

1. Resetting ESCD in Bios. Not sure how to change ACPI settings in Bios. No effect.
  2. System is not overclocked. No effect.
  3. All USB devices removed. No effect.
  4. Tried disconnection parallel and serial ports. No effect.
  5. Reseated memory DIMMs and no new add ons. No effect.
  6. Do not have a DMM meter..but not sure this applies to the laptop.
  7. Removed graphics card. No effect.
  8. Removed memory DIMM. No effect.
  9. Cannot boot to CD.
  10. Removed everything and disabled all devices. No effect.
  11. Cannot run Chkdsk. Recovery CD runs until "Setup is starting Windows". It does ask if I want to install any 3rd party drivers but i dont have the CD. Unless it needs to run for several hours, it seems like it stalls at this screen.
  12. Cannot manually restore registry as CD stops running.

Let me know if there are anymore suggestions. Is there anyway to test the motherboard to determine whether it it is problem?? the diagnostics are not turning up any errors.

#4 mrob

mrob

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

I was going to suggest using a boot disk such as BartPE or UBCD4Win to run chkdsk but if you can't run your restore disk they probably won't work either.  Can you remove hard drive and install it on another computer as a slave and then run chkdsk /r?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

It will be worth a shot to try the following.

How to make a bootable CD to access the Recovery Console.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.

* Double click ARCDC.exe
    * Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
    * You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
    * You will see a few DOS screens flash by, this is normal.
    * Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
    * The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC

Your ISO is located on your desktop.

In order to boot from this CD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

Once you have booted from the CD you will come to a screen which will offer the options to Install or Repair, select R.

When you reach the command prompt type chkdsk /r then press Enter.  Please observe that there is a space between chkdsk and the forward slash r (/r).

Chkdsk has five stages which will display the percentage of each stage as it runs.  This can take a very long time to run, it may even appear to have stalled.  Please do not stop this process as it can cause severe damage to the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 RunnerofBears

RunnerofBears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

It will be worth a shot to try the following.

How to make a bootable CD to access the Recovery Console.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.

* Double click ARCDC.exe
    * Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
    * You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
    * You will see a few DOS screens flash by, this is normal.
    * Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
    * The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC

Your ISO is located on your desktop.

In order to boot from this CD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

Once you have booted from the CD you will come to a screen which will offer the options to Install or Repair, select R.

When you reach the command prompt type chkdsk /r then press Enter.  Please observe that there is a space between chkdsk and the forward slash r (/r).

Chkdsk has five stages which will display the percentage of each stage as it runs.  This can take a very long time to run, it may even appear to have stalled.  Please do not stop this process as it can cause severe damage to the operating system.

I followed the instructions and made the CD. It booted to the CD and ran through the drivers but is sitting at the Windows Setup screen and only says "Setup is Starting Windows"

I will let it run over night but I am not holding out any hope.

I was going to suggest using a boot disk such as BartPE or UBCD4Win to run chkdsk but if you can't run your restore disk they probably won't work either.  Can you remove hard drive and install it on another computer as a slave and then run chkdsk /r?

I might be wrong but I don't believe SATA drives can be slaved. If any one knows how to do this let me know.

#7 mrob

mrob

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

I might be wrong but I don't believe SATA drives can be slaved. If any one knows how to do this let me know.

Poor choice of words on my part.  Make sure that the drive is not first in the BIOS boot sequence.

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2013 - 03:51 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:32 AM

Hi

I work as a PC support technician and i have seen this types of problems a lot. Most of the time it is caused by a faulty HDD. You can use one of the following tools to identify a failing HDD.

1) Seagate seatools  http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Excelent and my favorite. Works with other manufacturers HDD too. Boot from the freedos based CD and do a long test.

2) HDAT 2   http://www.hdat2.com/download.html

Just use the scan for bad sectors feature.

#9 RunnerofBears

RunnerofBears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

I must be burning the CDs wrong. I downloaded and burned the Seagate tools and HDAT 2 exe programs to separate CDs.  I selected the CD drive to boot from but instead of running the program it went to a black screen and then to the F8 screen, (select a way to boot.....safe mode, safe mode with command prompt...ect.)

I cannot seem to get either program to run.

I did switch out the optical drive and it was the same results. Is there a special way to burn the programs to the CD so they will run??

Thanks

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Are you sure you write the CD using "burn image to disc" option? (in Nero) . If you directly burn the ISO image it won't boot. Easy way is to use "Imgburn" and select "write image file to disc".

http://www.imgburn.com/?act=download

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

There is a very good tutorial for burning an ISO file with ImgBurn, it can be found here.

I prefer ImgBurn, it's a very good program and easy to use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

I must be burning the CDs wrong. I downloaded and burned the Seagate tools and HDAT 2 exe programs to separate CDs.  I selected the CD drive to boot from but instead of running the program it went to a black screen and then to the F8 screen, (select a way to boot.....safe mode, safe mode with command prompt...ect.)

I cannot seem to get either program to run.

I did switch out the optical drive and it was the same results. Is there a special way to burn the programs to the CD so they will run??

Thanks

You did make the optical drive the first device in the boot order in the BIOS, and the hdd with Windows the second device?

#13 RunnerofBears

RunnerofBears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Yep I was not burning the program correctly. I ran Seatools and the short and long tests passed and the scan did not turn up any errors. 

Same results. I do not need to save any information from the hard drive, although that would be nice, but should i consider erasing the hard drive and attempting to reinstall Windows on it?

#14 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hi RunnerofBears

So your HDD passed the surface scan and now there is only two possibilities remain. 

(1) Corrupted file system

Chances are high that your C drive is corrupted and you need to run a check disk fix. Since XP setup freezes you won't be able to use recovery console to do that. Best thing you can do is to obtain a copy of WinPE. Win Vista and Win 7 setup discs are already equipped with WinPE and that will do fine. Borrow either one of them from your friends. 

Boot from the DVD and choose repair option to open the CMD prompt. here is a step by step guide - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

Alternatively you can press "shift+F10" key combination on the "Install now" screen to quickly open the command prompt. In the CMD window enter "CHKDSK C: /R" to perform a full 5 stage file system integrity check. This will probably solve your problem.

(2) Faulty RAM

If check disc reported "No problems are detected" probably your RAM will be faulty. Even though there are programs like "Memtest" to check memory, only reliable way is to swap the RAM with a known good one. If your Laptop comes with 2 RAM modules you can remove one by one to eliminate and find the faulty one.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Is the installation disc you are using in good shape?  No scratches, smudges, etc.?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users