Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk boot failure, AFTER Windows XP reformat

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 catnapgood

catnapgood

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Heya, guys.

My computer had been acting sluggish with quite a few errors these past few months. Occasional blue screens, graphic card errors when attempting to run games, etc. So, I came to the conclusion that it was just time for a reformat.

(Prior to the reformat I experience no errors regarding booting. -EXCEPT- Maybe two times with which I received NTLDR missing. And, of course fixing this just required restarting the PC.)

I backed up all my essential data to a thumbdrive. Put in the XP Home Installation CD. And, allowed it to clean format the pre-existing partition. 

Once it finished working it began to boot to Windows, and it got BSoD. Not fun. 

I ignored this and restarted the PC. And on boot, receiving NTLDR missing once again.

I restarted my computer maybe 5 times assuming it was just a fluke. After which I reset CMOS remembering that I had OCed my Pentium4 a tad. (Only 10-20MHz,)

====================================================================

After restarting CMOS, I do NOT receive NTLDR missing error. Now I get this:

Verifying DMI Pool Data..... Update Sucess

Boot from CD:

Intel® Boot Agent FE v4.10

Copyright © 1997-2003, Intel Corporation

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 0C 76 62 97 69    GUID: FFFFFFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFFFFFFFFFF

PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiiting Intel Boot Agent.

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

====================================================================

I asked my Father about this briefly before he had to leave. (This was his old PC back from 2003-2010, It is a very old computer) He said he had never ran into that error before. 

I altered boot sequence, so that CDROM got first priority, then HD.

He mentioned that I should resecure cables, and then reformat again in case something went wrong in the prior formatting.

Are there any diagnostic tools I can use to check on the health of my HDD? If by some psychic force I backed up all my data right before my HD decided to fail on me and reformatting again just produces the same error message. 

Thanks for the assistance~!

I will update this topic as I work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

In addition to running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (available at the website of the respective hard drive manufacturer)...I would replace the CMOS battery.  Your PXE error message is a common symptom that the system has reverted to trying to boot from a network...which is the default setting for many OEM systems.

You might also disconnect and reconnect the hard drive...to ensure that it's not just a matter of loose cables.

I would disconnect/reconnect,,,prior to replacing CMOS battery or running the diagnostic.

Louis

#3 catnapgood

catnapgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

Thank you, Hamluis. I'll try your recommendations now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users