Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB KEYBOARD CONFLICTS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EnglishRebel

EnglishRebel

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

I have been having issues with my keyboard not responding (number and letter keys not working) and my mouse acting strange (double click doesn't work and I have to right click and select OPEN or RUN as appropriate).   I have other USB devices plugged in to my PC besides the mouse and keyboard, and these are:

1. Pokeys card #1 (this is a keyboard emulator for Microsoft Flight Simulator and it shows up as a keyboard under Devices and Printers
  2. Pokeys card #2 ditto
  3. FDS card # 1 (again a interface to Microsoft Flight Simulator) but this doesn't show up as a keyboard.
  4. FDS card # 2 ditto
  5. FDS card # 3 ditto
  6. Netgear 80211.n WiFi interface
Anyway I unplugged all USB devices except my keyboard and mouse and rebooted and they now work okay. I started plugging in my other USB devices and checked to see if they affected the mouse or the keyboard and the only two that did are the two Pokeys cards so it's obvious I have USB keyboard conflicts as Windows identifies them as keyboards.
I should add that I have three flagged devices under Other Devices in Device Manager that do not have any drivers loaded and Windows cannot find the drivers for them.  They are:
  1. Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
  2. Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
  3. Unidentified Device.
There are no flagged devices under any other section.  My ASUS MB has positions for four USB devices and I added a PCIe card for four more devices so all USB slots are filled (well except for the two on the front panel and the two USB 3.0 ports on the MB). In the MB USB I have:
  1. Mouse
  2. Keyboard
  3. Pokeys Card #1
  4. Pokeys Card #2
On the PCIe card I have:
  1. FDS card #1
  2. FDS card #2
  3. FDS card #3
  4. Netgear 80211.n WiFi interface
I tried plugging the two Pokeys cards into the add on USB PCIe card ports (to get them off the same MB ports as the keyboard and mouse) but this didn't help.
Can anyone shed light on how I can go about resolving these USB keyboard conflicts and get drivers for the devices Windows reports as "not installed"?  I'm not sure these are connected with my conflicts because if they have no drivers then they wouldn't work -- right?
Thanks
Alan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EnglishRebel

EnglishRebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Anyone have any idea as to a fix for these USB keyboard conflicts?   I really need to get this PC running properly again.

Thanks

Alan

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

Hi Alan,

One possible cure for the 'missing' drivers is to go back into Device Manager and delete these two USB controllers and the 'Unidentified Device'. Then do a re-boot. If there are drivers for them, they should install as part of the booting process; if there aren't, then they should disappear.

As a flight simmer myself, I am curious about these keyboard emulators. I currently have CFS 1, 2, and 3 and FS 9 and X installed on my computer and I run these quite happily with my trusty Cyborg 3D joystick and my bog standard wired keyboard.

I think you are right, all these emulated keyboards are confusing the hell out of your computer. Why not unplug them for work, and only use them when simming ?

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#4 EnglishRebel

EnglishRebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

Chris

Thanks for the reply.  I deleted some Root USB Hubs and rebooted and now the two USB Controllers have gone away but the Unidentified Device remains so I just stopped it as it doesn't seem to affect anything.  Strange thing is that the Pokeys card that runs my RMUs (Radio Management Units) does not cause the keyboard to stop responding but as soon as I plug the other Pokeys card in (it controls the buttons and encoders on my primary flight display and my two multifunction displays) the letter and number keys on stop working.  I really need the keyboard as I use it to program the functions on my simulator (http://www.hangar45.net/index.php?option=com_agora&task=viewtopic&id=817&p=1).   

Everything was fine up until a week ago when the computer was woken from sleep mode when this issue started.  Do you think I should try a different brand of keyboard?
Thanks (and don't hold this against me but I was born in England).  LOL

Alan

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

And ?

It can do no harm to try another keyboard - borrow one, it's cheaper even though they are not very expensive items. However, you say that this started after your computer was woken from sleep mode. Assuming that this is a desktop unit we are talking about, there can be problems with putting them to sleep and waking them up. Hibernation is for laptops, not desktops. I would suggest you try a cold boot - shut your computer down and switch off the PSU either at the switch on the back of the box or just by unplugging it. Leave it for at least 30 seconds, and power it up again and re-boot. My own desktop is either on or off, I have the power settings set to 'Display - 20 minutes', 'Hard drives and computer - never'.

I just had a quick look at the link you provided above - an interesting project, which explains the emulators you have, but not one I would be allowed to get away with !  Then again, I sim - flight and train - only when I have the time from other things.

I have nothing against England, I even got born there myself. And tomorrow, just to prove it, I am spending the night in Little Dunmow ( near Stanstead ) drinking English bitter. Actually, we are on route to France where we have some photography to do and didn't fancy leaving here at 0230 to catch the 1200 ferry. And any time we need a casual hotel in the UK, the first port of call is the CAMRA guide ! I'll be off-line for the next fortnight, so, best of luck.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 EnglishRebel

EnglishRebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

Thanks Chris and have a great holiday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users