Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is Easter Friday called GOOD Friday ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

As GOOD Friday, the first day of Easter is acknowledged as the day the Romans under the jurisdiction of Pontius Pilate, the Prefect of the province of Judaea, put to death Jesus Christ by crucifixion

Why then do we commemorate this tragic day by calling it GOOD Friday ? If that is a GOOD Friday, I would not wish to see a BAD one.

Does anybody really know why the day Jesus was killed on the cross, should be known as GOOD Friday ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

As explained by the Rev. Billy Graham with the Christian point of view  (mine also, btw) "Good" is a reference of joy/triumph.

>>>>>>>>>

Pilate, the Roman governor, publically declared, "I find no basis for a charge against him" (John 18:38).

But what appeared at first to be a tragedy was in fact a triumph -- because by His death on the cross Jesus Christ purchased our salvation. We are separated from God because of our sin, and because we are sinners we have no hope of eternal life. God is pure and holy, and even one sin -- just one -- would be enough to keep us out of heaven. But by His death on the cross, Jesus Christ became the perfect and final sacrifice for our sins -- and because of that, heaven's door is now open to all who put their faith and trust in Him.

And that's why we can call the day on which Jesus died "Good Friday." In fact, it was the greatest Friday in the history of the human race, because on that day Jesus Christ won our salvation. At one time, the Bible says, we were "without hope and without God in the world" (Ephesians 2:12). But now we have hope, because Christ died for us.

Today, as Christians around the world celebrate what happened on that first Good Friday, may this truly become a "Good Friday" for you, as you open your heart and life to Jesus Christ. "To all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God" (John 1:12).

>>>>>>>>>

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

I don't think there is a specific answer. Not to mention Good Friday is primarily an English speaking nations reference.

For example in Germany it's called Karfreitag.

This answer seems as plausible as any to me: Why is Good Friday called Good Friday?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Thank you so far.

I have surfed the web on this and whilst the question is raised many times, the answer is obscure. The precise pinning down of naming Easter Friday "Good Friday" is indeterminate over history, but there must be an origin somewhere and at sometime. 

This is the most acceptable explanation I have seen so far :-

From the earliest times the Christians kept every Friday as a feast day; and the obvious reasons for those usages explain why Easter is the Sunday par excellence, and why the Friday which marks the anniversary of Christ's death came to be called the Great or the Holy or the Good Friday. The origin of the term Good is not clear. Some say it is from "God's Friday" (Gottes Freitag); others maintain that it is from the German Gute Freitag, and not specially English. Sometimes, too, the day was called Long Friday by the Anglo-Saxons; so today in Denmark.

An abuse of "God`s Friday" seems logical, possibly by the British. I personally am not at all happy about such an expression being used to commemorate Jesus being crucified to death. I see nothing "GOOD" about it. Easter Friday is more appropriate.

Another similar explanation is given here :-

http://www.biblestudy.org/question/why-is-friday-before-easter-called-good-friday.html

The actual date and year of Jesus's crucifixion is not clear, but historians have estimated that 3.00 pm on Friday, April 3, AD 33 is as near as they can get. So our Easter is quite close to the date agreed by most theologians and Biblical scholars.

None of it makes me feel any better.

Edited by yabbadoo, 31 March 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Actually, Easter doesn't begin until Sunday.  Good Friday is part of Holy Week and as such is part of the Lenten season.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

Let me just add that "back in the days" the word "gut", which is normally translated as good, also meant holy or high in German, when used within the context of the Holy Week. I'm guessing good friday is simply a mistranslation in this case.

If you want to learn more about Easter, symbolism and pagan celebrations it usurped, please have a look here: https://bellejarblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/28/easter-is-not-named-after-ishtar-and-other-truths-i-have-to-tell-you/ I found it well worth the read :)

Edited by myrti, 02 April 2013 - 08:58 AM.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

The translation as Holy makes as lot of sense here as Good Friday is part of Holy Week.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#8 Moylan GCCC

Moylan GCCC

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'm starting to get suspicious of all of the "answers" that seem to rely on mistranslations throughout the ages. I think I'm leaning more toward excepting a simple "we don't know" now whenever I see a theory based on a typo. 

#9 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:14 AM

Hi,

well we're not talking ancient times in this case. The time we are referring to is one where there are lots of surviving written documents, where you can simply check that good friday was referred to as "Guter Freitag" in German.

Actually it was Martin Luther that referred to good friday as such. Now given the fact that Martin Luther was one of the founding fathers, so to say, of protestantism, and that good friday is the highest holiday for most protestants, it really doesn't come as a surprise that his naming of the holy friday as "Guter Freitag" were translated literally into good friday.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

#10 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:24 AM

@ yabbadoo,

Speaking as a child of GOD...for many years I asked the same question.. a friend took me to see the play "your Arm's To Short To Box With GOD"as the crucifixion scene took place my friend said quietly halliujah....and raised her hands..me I was bawlin my eyes out and wondering how she could do that!!..... I mean after all when JESUS CHRIST was crucified,He had been beaten until he was hamburger,HE suffered humiliation,HE was forced to carry that cruel roman cross, then He was nailed to that cruel roman cross....I really couldn't understand her elation at this....NOT AT ALL.....I just kept thinkin "how can you??" I never came out and asked her this tho, I probably should have, it would have saved me a lot of time. energy, and confusion...lol..

You see Yabbadoo,GOD from the very beginging gave us free will, HE want's children, NOT robots..even the angels in heaven have free will....they stay or leave by choice....

NOW GOD is a very wise GOD...HE knew from the beginning that we were gonna need a "SAVIOR" to fight this battle for us....soo instead of coming to earth as a fire snorting big mean giant..which is what most people expected then and now....HE chose to instead to come to us as a baby.....to show us that HE IS INDEED A LOVING FATHER!

who wants anything to do with a bully??not me that's for sure!!.....SO enter JESUS.....GODS ONLY SON, whose soul mission was to show us who GOD really is and to die on that cruel roman cross for us all.....

NOW Yabbadoo you need to remember a couple of things here....

1) GOD gave us free will

2)GOD knew that satan was gonna try to hurt us all..just to hurt GOD and us...

Yabbadoo , imagine it kinda like this....your out and somebody is going to shoot you,a friend step's in front of you to save your life.....that's love in action!!

That's exactly what GOD accomplished thru JESUS!!!

just to think that CHRIST JESUS did that just for me if I had been the only person on earth is a beautiful thing!!!

Yabbadoo I hope this help's????

RESPECTFULLY

MissPlaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

@MissPlaced

With the greatest respect for your obviously sincerely held beliefs, I submit your post#10 is a little off topic.  I am inclined to go along with myrti's explanation.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

@ Myrti - your post No. 9

Hello Myrti,

I am absolutely committed to your conclusion, it ties in with several other versions which give Guter Freitag as the original German source for the modern expression Good Friday.

I believe it was initially used several centuries ago by German Monks and associated with a recognised religious holiday on that particular day. It was obviously the way they expressed it and in no means was disrespectful as perhaps the English translation and definition infers.

Fully accepted and thank you.

Edited by yabbadoo, 03 June 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#13 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

@ Chris Cosgrove,

:scratchhead:  Perhaps I misunderstood What Yabbadoo was asking.....

Apparently I was wrong....soo in that case yes I was :offtopic:  :oopsign: 

Thank You for your respect and understanding......

After I read this, I just threw myself down on the floor, where I kicked, beat the floor with my fist's, screamed, cried........BUT i'm much better now :hysterical: 

Respectfully

MissPlaced

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#14 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

I forgot..one mo thing...

Myrti(good to see you)..I just love that CAT.... :hysterical: 

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#15 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

While the technical points on why the day is called "good Friday" are a little clouded I will say that the reasons given by MissPlaced and Boopme are the reasons that I call it "Good Friday" and yes it is the highest and best day of the year to me.  It is the day I remember that the price for my sin was paid allowing me to be a child of God.  Christmas is a critically important day but the day the story started is not as big as the day the final battle was won.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users