Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help checking safety of computer + discs

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Arrowow

Arrowow

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

Okay, I bought this computer (tower) on eBay about 2 years ago it was refurbished and came with 3 burnt copied discs for Windows XP, 7 and one for drivers.

I have been using those discs for my Operating System until only recently (2/3 months ago), when I became more aware of the fact that the discs could possibly tampered with in a harmful way and it had me very worried. I now have Windows 7 installed from a genuine disc.

I'm still not sure if there is anything harmful on the discs, I am quite worried that I may have let a hacker into the computer and home network, who could have access to files and information. So basically I am wanting to find out if this is true or not and would very much appreciate some help and advice.

I guess the step at the moment would be to scan the discs. I have tried scanning before but it was still scanning after 1.5 hours+ for one disc. I thought it would be a quick scan and I am a little anxious about leaving the disc in the computer for a long period. Is there a faster way I can scan the discs, but also in a safe way?

EDIT: I should add: I have scanned my computer with both AVAST and Malwarebytes and they both come up clean. Also tried TDSSKiller and McAfee Rootkit Remover and they are clean too.

Edited by Arrowow, 29 March 2013 - 12:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users