Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot ReInstall Windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EnglishRebel

EnglishRebel

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

I have been having issues with my keyboard that was unresponsive and no amount of work arounds seemed to fix it and I have problem icons next to two USB Controllers under Other Devices in Control Panel.   This problem started when I woke my PC from sleep as it had been fine up to that point.  I have tried the keyboard on another PC and it's fine.  So please bear in mind that I cannot type in any commands.  My mouse does work although it acts strange -- I can click on START but have to right click on Control Panel and select OPEN but can then simply click on other icons to open them.  Also I cannot double click to open a program I have to right click and select RUN.  My PC was built by me and has an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO MB.    I decided to try and reinstall Windows so I inserted the OEM disc and selected Upgrade to see if it would reinstall Windows and fix the issue. It gave me a message that said it needed to get an updated file and would stay connected to the Internet throughout the whole install process. Well after about an hour I went back to the PC and it was stuck in a boot up loop. A screen would pop up that had two options:

1. Install Windows
  2. Windows 7

It auto selected Install Windows after about five seconds and then rebooted. It kept doing this until I selected Windows 7 (the arrow keys on my KB work fine) when it booted into Windows normally. I then got a message box that said something to the effect that Windows could not be installed on this machine and to go to the Internet and check to see what computers were compatible with Win7 -- implying that my PC was not suitable????

I gave up on this and tried to install Windows fresh so while still in Windows I inserted the disc and selected Clean Install. The first thing it said was that the files on the E: drive needed repairing and the options were:

1. Repair
  2. Skip Repair

Not sure what the E: drive was (it used to be my thumbdrive but I have a feeling that the previous attempt to install Windows somehow created an E: drive). Anyway Repair didn't work so I selected SKIP. It went through the same routine again with the same result as before. I finally decided to see if I could boot to the DVD and install from there. I went into my BIOS and see these:

1. UEFI Windows Boot Manager
  2. My hard drive
  3. UEFI P5: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS70 (is this the E: drive)?
  4. P5: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GHNS70

I am assuming the last two are my DVD drive but have no idea why there are two entries. I selected the last one to be my first boot drive, saved, and exited the BIOS. After booting it opened a windows (on a plain windows background) and then started to put the same three or four symbols over and over line after line until after about ten minutes it stopped at the bottom of the page. 
I went back into the BIOS and selected #3 to boot to. It rebooted and I get a Windows with the same two options as with my first attempts at reinstallation:

1. Install Windows
  2. Windows 7

With the option to do a memory check at the bottom of the screen. I selected #1 Windows Installer. The next screen had this:

Failed to start Windows Installer possibly due to recent hardware or software changes.
File \$Windows. ~BT\Windows\System32\Windload.UEFI
Status 0xc000000f
Selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupted.

After getting back into Windows I see that there are two folder added to my C: drive BTWIndows and CTWindows which I deleted.  Can anyone PLEASE help me here as this PC useable without a keyboard and now I can't even reinstall Windows.  Let me know if you need any more information or screen shots.
Thanks
Alan

Edited by hamluis, 30 March 2013 - 06:17 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

<<...so I inserted the OEM disc...>>

<<My PC was built by me and...>>

Those two statements seem to contradict, IMO.

What is the origin of the media used to for the attempted install of Win 7?

Louis

#3 EnglishRebel

EnglishRebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Not contradictory at all.  I built my PC from components purchased from NewEgg.com along with the OEM version of Windows 7 SP1 64.  The OEM is less expensive than a retail version because it doesn't come with tech support and is for system builders.

Alan

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Just wanted to verify that you had the System Builder/OEM version :).  I have the same version on one of my systems.

I don't understand your explanation of inability to do a clean install, in that case.  All that needs to be done is deletion of existing partitions and the disk will create/format the new Windows partition.

If you cannot do that...it seems to me that the hard drive would be the logical suspect.  Did you run the appropriate diagnostic on it...at any time during your recent efforts?

Louis

#5 EnglishRebel

EnglishRebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Louis

Okay here's the deal.  Normally when I install the OS disc and boot it asks of I want to boot to the CDROM because it sees Windows install on it. I say yes and am then provided with the option to do a clean install with a disc format.  I can never get to that option.  Also if I'm not able to boot to the CDROM then I cannot delete the partition (unless there is another way to do this outside of Windows).  The reason I wanted to do a reinstall was because of issues I was having with my keyboard (see my other post).  I have now figured out that I have a USB keyboard conflict and I'm not sure doing a reinstall will fix that issue.  I still want to know why I have two entries for the CDROM drive in my BIOS with the same name -- one with a UEFI prefix and why booting with the disc in the drive never gives me the necessary option..   

Thanks

Alan

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

Hmmm... my limited knowledge cannot answer your question, so I'll move this to Internal Hardware.

It's my understanding that UEFi is a replacement for the BIOS and I've had no exposure to such.

FWIW:  http://h30565.www3.hp.com/t5/Feature-Articles/The-30-year-long-Reign-of-BIOS-is-Over-Why-UEFI-Will-Rock-Your/ba-p/198 .

Louis

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

Louis

Okay here's the deal.  Normally when I install the OS disc and boot it asks of I want to boot to the CDROM because it sees Windows install on it. I say yes and am then provided with the option to do a clean install with a disc format.  I can never get to that option.  Also if I'm not able to boot to the CDROM then I cannot delete the partition (unless there is another way to do this outside of Windows).  The reason I wanted to do a reinstall was because of issues I was having with my keyboard (see my other post).  I have now figured out that I have a USB keyboard conflict and I'm not sure doing a reinstall will fix that issue.  I still want to know why I have two entries for the CDROM drive in my BIOS with the same name -- one with a UEFI prefix and why booting with the disc in the drive never gives me the necessary option..   

Thanks

Alan

You could get a third party program that has a bootable optical disc to delete the partition/erase the disk.  I use Acronis TrueImage for this purpose at times.  I suspect you can likely find free options by way of a Google search.  At a minimum, you could likely get a bootable Linux distro that you could burn to either a USB drive or an optical disc.  This would require another computer to use potentially, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users