Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Security issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pbs001

pbs001

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

Has anyone recently compared PC Matic to the Verizon Internet Security Suite?

Edited by hamluis, 29 March 2013 - 08:43 AM.
Moved from XP to AV, Firewall, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Generally I would put PC-Matic under PC Optimization Software rather than a full Antivirus program.
This Review Site covers it fairly well -

A full review from Joe53, a Dell long term, and established member, if you care to read it > > > >
Against my better judgement, I installed the "free" PC Matic scanner on my latest Win 7 desktop, after first running a Full Tests checkup at the unrelated PC Pitstop (which found no problems, and in fact benchmarked this PC in the "top 5%").
I was not surprised when it tried to insert itself in my startup (persistently) - had to kill it with WinPatrol.
So I ran a scan, and PC Matic:
1) Identified my System Restore files as "junk files" and suggested I delete them, and reduce the space allocated to them to 0 MB to "free up HD space". (I have 854 GB free on my 1TB HD).
2) Identified my internet settings, including HTTP, TCP, DNS,AFD and firefox settings as "unoptimised", and suggested they be optimised, to speed up my browsers. (My browsers are plenty fast already).
3) Suggested that my Catalyst Control Center (for my video card) be disabled from loading at startup. (Probably true, but my Win 7 loads fast enough, and I can do this through WinPatrol for free).
4) Informed me that it could update 2 audio drivers. (Nothing wrong with my audio. I only update drivers to solve problems).
5)  Suggested I should switch off a Roxio HD Watcher service, for a faster bootup. (Bootup times are already fast). I don't know what this service does, but see no benefit from disabling it.
It's all snake oil, of course, and still potentially dangerous to fool with these settings.
- Avoid all PC optimizing, tweaking, speed enhancing, and general registry cleaning programs.

Verizon Internet Security Suite (VISS) provides anti-virus, anti-spyware, fraud protection as well as a firewall as its core services, but it is still not regarded as among the better mainstream Antivirus programs yet -
The unfortunate part is there is also a small Optimizer portion, but of the 2, you can run Verizon without any need to use the Optimizer area, which puts it fairly well above PC Matic scanner -

I have read about 10 articles on both programs (3 on PC Matic scanner were enough to kill that idea) and the rest on VISS, which still left a lot to be desired if this was to be your choice of prime Antivirus programs -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users