Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly Build System gets stuck on Starting Windows screen?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Hey everyone... ^_^
How r u all?

Well I finally completed building my dream pc .. And I was sooo happy... Then after building everything installed os .. and everything was fine.. and I didn't do anything just restarted the computer again just for a checking.. and then it got stuck on starting windows screen... Then I had to press and hold the power button to turn it off.. then tried turning on again and it went past starting windows screen no problem ... Its doesn't happen alwAys.. its completely random sometimes it gets stuck sometimes it works...

And I thought it must be a problem with hdd Cut I was using a 3 year old hdd.. so I bought a new one.. and installed os in it and it also has the same problem...

Im kind of in a sad state right now...

I really hope u guys can help me....

My system spec:
Chassis : cooler master cosmos II
Motherboard: Asus rampage IV extreme
Processor: Intel core i7 3930k
Power supply: corsair ax1200
CPU cooler: corsair h100
Ram: 2x 2gb transcend @ 1333mhz
Hdd: samsung 1tb, and western digital caviar green 3tb
Drive: Sony DVD rw
Keyboard: dazed blackwidow ultimate dragon age 2 edition
Mouse: razer naga

Thanks.. ^_^

Edited by hamluis, 23 April 2013 - 12:28 PM.
Moved from win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

Guys sorry for the double post but i have a huge update here and wanted to post it as a new post... so here it is....

1. Ran Memtest 86 for around hours and the result came as 12 pass 0 errors...

2. Tried running the system with one module of ram.. and at first it works smoothly but after sometime when i restart i get the same problem again.. tried both modules separately.

3. Checked all the connection everything is connected fine..

4. I bought myself a new SSD.. "Samsung 840 Series 250GB"... so as to check whether the problem is with the HDD and also cuz my system will be faster with the SSD.. ^_^
and now i tried installing OS to the SSD.. disconnected all the other HDD's and other stuff from the system... i removed almost all the usb devices except for 2 those r my keyboard and mouse... the things which are connected are keyboard & mouse(USB), audio jacks, VGA for graphics card(cuz my motherboard doesnt have onboard graphics), ethernet cable..... and went to install the OS...

Trial one: It installed fine and at the end it said system will reboot in 10 seconds and it restarted and then it got stuck on starting windows screen... while it gets stuck i cant use my mouse or keyboard either.. they get stuck too... so restarted the system and this it went past starting windows screen in a flash and went with the remaining installation.. and it came to the completing installation screen and now it got stuck there.... the 3 dots that move along side the completing installation got stuck.... and i left it for 30 mins still its stuck... so restarted and now also it went past starting windows screen and then it showed a error that something like "the installation was interrupted and so cant continue, restart to continue the installation or reinstall using the disc" this... i cant remember the exact words it said but its something similar.. so i have to install again....

Trial two: just like before it completed the installing and restarted and then it got stuck on starting windows screen and so i restarted again.. and it went to completing installation and this time the screen blinked twice and when the screen blinks my keyboard and mouse blinks too their light turn off and on... and after the second blink it went to blue screen for 2 seconds so couldnt see what it was showing... and it restarted.. and now it restarted into windows and the same error that the installation was interrupted came.. so it again asked me to install OS...

Trial Three: This time i tried to install windows 8.. for the first 2 trials i use windows 7 ultimate 64 bit... and for this trial i use windows 8 professional 64 bit... installation went fine.. and it restarted and the windows 8 logo came and below the logo a few dots were going in circles.. and after a few seconds the circle got stuck.. and then after another few seconds and screen came with a sad smiley icon and it said "You pc ran into a problem and needs to restart" and below this its written that " you can check on the internet for machine_check_exception"... and it said its gathering some data and its in 0% for more than 30 mins.. so restarted and it showed the same error.. so i restarted again and this time it said something like "there is some problem with the installation and its not resolved even after multiple restarts" not exactly this but it said something similar... and it gave me 2 options one is press enter to retry and f8 to change settings... when i press enter it gets stuck on the circling dots and shows the sad smiley screen...

trial 4: and this time i went back to windows 7... and now it got stuck on starting windows screen... So i restarted and this time to it went to blue screen.. and restarted and says the same error as cant continue installation...

trial 5: triend windows 7 again.. and this time it got stuck a few times in starting windows... so i left it like that...

and during this 5 trial i was switching the two modules of ram.. in the slot indicated on the manual... and then now i connected the old HDD which has OS installed to it... and at first it got stuck in starting windows screen.. and after i restarted again it went into windows.. and now im sending u thins from my system...

guys what is this weird problem im having.. is it the ram problem?? HDD cant be the problem cuz it happens to all HDD and even the newly bought SSD... could it be the OS installation disk... but two OS installation disk getting the same error ??.... or could it be a fault with mother board???

is there any way for me to check guys...??? please help.. im so desperate... pleaseeeeeeee....

Thanks... ^_^

EDIT:

Small update... i asked a friend of mine to bring his ram to check... and i checked using his ram..  i tried installing windows 8 again.. and after installing it restarted and got stuck on windows 8 logo and then i restarted and then it went it and done some configuration and it restarted itself .. and after that i tried restarting twice but it gets stuck on the windows 8 logo... now im really confused... cuz it seems ram is not a problem too... strange.. T_T

Edited by Syaoran Li, 23 April 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#3 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

Is your BIOS setup to do a Legacy install or UEFI installation of Windows? Now, using Windows 8 for example, a legacy install will result in the creation of a 350MB system partition and an OS partition by default; whereas, a UEFI installation will have a different structure. Now, although I don't remember the specific structure, I think there were 3 partitions created and the first one was a Recovery partition. With that said, I would recommend the following actions:

Set your BIOS to default values and try a new installation. Now, when you get to the part where it reveals the current partition structure, delete all partitions until the hard drive is 100% unallocated space. Once done, you are ready to simply click next and Windows 8 will now create the proper structure for you based on your BIOS settings. I think the same strategy would apply to Windows 7 as well but I can't guarantee that because I haven't done one for a while. I also think I remember the partition structure is different for Windows 7. Specifically, I think for a legacy BIOS install, the system partition might be 100MBs.

Edited by anyrepli, 24 April 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#4 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

You also might want to make sure your BIOS is current because there was a boot fix applied to one of the later versions:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/#support_Download_36

#5 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:38 AM

Is your BIOS setup to do a Legacy install or UEFI installation of Windows? Now, using Windows 8 for example, a legacy install will result in the creation of a 350MB system partition and an OS partition by default; whereas, a UEFI installation will have a different structure. Now, although I don't remember the specific structure, I think there were 3 partitions created and the first one was a Recovery partition. With that said, I would recommend the following actions:

Set your BIOS to default values and try a new installation. Now, when you get to the part where it reveals the current partition structure, delete all partitions until the hard drive is 100% unallocated space. Once done, you are ready to simply click next and Windows 8 will now create the proper structure for you based on your BIOS settings. I think the same strategy would apply to Windows 7 as well but I can't guarantee that because I haven't done one for a while. I also think I remember the partition structure is different for Windows 7. Specifically, I think for a legacy BIOS install, the system partition might be 100MBs.

tried installing by setting bios to default values.. but problem was there...  normally i always do that.. will delete all partitions and then wat i would do is click on new and will create a partition.. and when i do that in windows 8 it creates an additional partition of 350mb and for windows 7 it creates a partition of 100mb... done these still there is problem..

You also might want to make sure your BIOS is current because there was a boot fix applied to one of the later versions:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/#support_Download_36

checked it i have the latest bios only....

#6 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:04 AM

Sorry my previous suggestions showed no improvement. Anyway, are you familiar with the Event viewer? If so, check for any criticals, errors, or warnings that tend to repeat on boot and give us the Event ID(s) and description(s) of the failures(s).

#7 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

Sorry my previous suggestions showed no improvement. Anyway, are you familiar with the Event viewer? If so, check for any criticals, errors, or warnings that tend to repeat on boot and give us the Event ID(s) and description(s) of the failures(s).

welll today at 1.45.47pm i got around 7 errors for which event id are 11 for all.. and also the sources is atapi... but im not sure that when i got the startup problem.. will check again then next time i get the error... and will post it here....

#8 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

Just to jump ahead, did you do the installation with the BIOS set to AHCI or IDE? (I'm hoping AHCI). Also, I would try disabling "fast boot" in the BIOS (if not disabled by default). AND, have you installed the motherboard recommended chipset drivers that are applicable to your newly installed OS?

#9 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Just to jump ahead, did you do the installation with the BIOS set to AHCI or IDE? (I'm hoping AHCI). Also, I would try disabling "fast boot" in the BIOS (if not disabled by default). AND, have you installed the motherboard recommended chipset drivers that are applicable to your newly installed OS?

ya i did it with AHCI.... fast boot is enabled in the bios.. wats it for??? should i disable it?? thats the problem... i couldnt finish the os installation process.. so no i couldnt install the chipset drivers....

#10 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

You just totally confused me,,, did you just say that you couldn't finish the installation process? I though you had previously completed Win 7 and 8 installations successfully. Please take the time to respond properly so I can understand your current situation... and please do not use fragmented sentences because they tend to run together.

#11 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

You just totally confused me,,, did you just say that you couldn't finish the installation process? I though you had previously completed Win 7 and 8 installations successfully. Please take the time to respond properly so I can understand your current situation... and please do not use fragmented sentences because they tend to run together.

well hehe... sorry abt that.. will tell you clearly now...

this is how i connected my system...

well my cabinet cooler master cosmos II has two external hot swap bays.... and i connected one of those in to one of the intel 3gb/s ports and the optical drive to another 3gb/s port ... and i have 2 HDD one 1tb samsung and other 3tb western digital... and a ssd samsung 840 series 250gb... so i connected the ssd and 3tb drive in intel 6gb/s ports and the 1 tb samsung in asmedia 6gb/s port... also my 3tb western digital is converted to GPT since i was able to access only the 2tb when it was in MBR....

and for the os... i have windows 7 ultimate 64 installed to 1tb drive.. through which im sending u the messages now... and the ssd has windows 8....

these r the connections i have now...

and when the problem started that is when i bullt my system i just had one HDD tat 1tb samsung... and i tried installing the OS to it... and then the problem started it got stuck on completing installation... so after a few restarts and retries.. i luckily installed windows 7 and went into desktop installed the drivers and when installing the chipset driver it showed BSOD error and restarted.. and then it restarted and then it got stuck on starting windows.. after a few restarts it went into desktop... and i tried installing chipset driver and this time it installed fine... and everything was fine unless i turn off the system.. cuz whenever i turn my system off and then turn it on it gets stuck on starting windows.. and i have restart a few time to get into desktop... and this problem is completely random.. sometimes when i turn on my system it goes in fine.. and sometimes it gets stuck.. and sometimes after 1 restart it goes into desktop fine.. and sometimes it take a few restarts to work... even right now i just turned on my system and luckily it went it.. and im sending u the messages from my windows 7 drive...

so i searched around internet abt this problem and everyone and all that i saw suggested to buy a new hard disk.. so i bought the 3tb western digital... and when i tried to install os to it.. it displays only the 2tb of the drive... so i searched around internet and they said  using MBR partition i can only use 2tb of the drive.. if i want to use the 3tb then i have conver it to GPT.. and so i converted it to GPT and tried to install OS to it and it didnt allow me to install on a GPT drive...

so i bought the SSD... and first tried to install windows 7 during the installation it said system will restart and continue the installation and it restarted and got stuck on starting windows... and after a few restarts it went in and then got stuck on completing installation... so after restarting it said there was some problem with the installation and i have install the os again... so this time i tired windows 8... and the same problem got stuck on windows 8 logo screen and then after a few restarts it went it in and a few dots were rotating in circles and suddenly a blue screen came and it restarted and then it again got stuck on windows 8 logo and after few restarts it went in and it showed a sad smiley face and said something like machine_check_exception...

so i reformatted again tried windows 7.. same problem...

again tried windows 7.. same problem...

once again tried windows 8... and it got stuck on windows 8 logo like usual... and after a few restarts luckily it completed the installation.. and i was able to use my computer... but if i restart the system the problem is there...

this is wat happened.. where u able to understand ... sorry for writing a long post...

#12 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

OK, now I see the big picture and thank you for all of that detail. Now I will respond with my own long-winded response:

I feel, at this point, your system is so complexed that it may be difficult to identify the source of the problem. I say this because you indicated you were having a problem with fewer components and to add more only complicates things more. With that said, what I would recommend is a "start from scratch" approach and if you can't do this, then I can't help you, because, at this point "I can't see the forrest for the trees" so, here is my recommendation:

1- Physically disconnect all unnecessary components that would not be required to do a basic Win 8 or 7 install. This should leave you with a single hard drive (your choice) and a CD/DVD device.

2-Condition your bios for a Legacy install of Windows 7 or Windows 8. Unfortunately I can't walk you through all the BIOS options but I would look to disable things like Fast Boot, Fast RAM, Fast USB, Secure Boot and change any USB options to fully-enabled. Also AHCI should be set. Now if anything else pops up, you can either post here or consult your manuals for more information.

3-Proceed with a clean installation, following the guidelines previously suggested (delete all partitions, click next).

4-Now if this installation fails, I need to understand (clearly where it hangs) because there are several reboots required and each one occurs after something specific is done. So, watch your screen and take notes. 

5-And finally, I have done some research on your mobo and I have found some reported issues where people are claiming that the center of the mobo tends to "bow downward" due to the short standoffs provided by ASUS. Some claim this is being caused by a cold solder joint, and by using higher standoffs (to prevent the bowing), it somehow resolves the freezing on boot problem. This is just an FYI but I certainly can't substantiate any of their claims. 

In summary, I know this appears to be a major step backwards, but your first task is to get the OS installed. Now once done successfully, you can add the motherboard and chipset drivers, apply all Windows updates to current, and THEN start building out you system. Good luck.

Edited by anyrepli, 24 April 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#13 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Thank you so much for going through all that i have written... i would gladly do what u say....

1. by physically disconnect means u want me to remove all the cables from the motherboard??? i cant remove the graphics card.. cuz my motherboard doesnt have onboard graphics..

2. in my bios fast boot and secure boot are enabled.. and there is no fast usb and fast ram option.. and also the usb option is set to partially initiallised.. will change everything as u said...

3.. will do it...

4.. will take screen shots for u.. and will attach it next time.. if there r problems...

5.  umm how do i check that.. is there a way to check it without completely undoing the screws???

thanks will do everything as u said and will let u know.. Thanks.. ^_^

Edited by hamluis, 26 April 2013 - 02:46 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#14 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

My responses to your numbered questions:

1. Leave the graphics card (of course) and remove the other cables that lead to those extra components.

2. Disable fast boot and secure boot, change usb to fully enabled.

3. OK

4. Don't need a screenshot, just tell me the last step that was completed before the boot failure.

5. Don't worry about that now.

Good luck,

PS My wife is dragging me out to buy a new outdoor grill but hopefully you'll be reporting some success (fingers crossed) when I return in about 2 hours.

#15 Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

My responses to your numbered questions:

1. Leave the graphics card (of course) and remove the other cables that lead to those extra components.

2. Disable fast boot and secure boot, change usb to fully enabled.

3. OK

4. Don't need a screenshot, just tell me the last step that was completed before the boot failure.

5. Don't worry about that now.

Good luck,

PS My wife is dragging me out to buy a new outdoor grill but hopefully you'll be reporting some success (fingers crossed) when I return in about 2 hours.

ok will do everything and will tell u...

sorry for keeping you.. ya i hope the same... ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users