Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No POST beeps

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Falneth

Falneth

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

I am building a new computer out of spare parts for use as a Linux Firewall. The parts are:

Asus P5WD2 Premium motherboard

Intel P4 Processor 660 LGA 775 3.6 GHz with stock fan

1 GB Corsair DDR2 800 MHz RAM

Rosewill 450 Watt RV430-2-FRB-S Power Supply

40 GB Samsung ATA Hard Drive

ATI Radeon X1950XT 512 MB GDDR3 PCI-E Graphics Card

I have used all the parts before except the motherboard and processor. I just pulled the Power supply, Ram, from the computer I was using for my firewall but wanted to turn into an XP Gaming machine with a 500 GB SATA hard drive. I used this graphics card in my last build until I did a full upgrade so I know it works in both XP and windows 7.  I used this RAM with 1 other identical stick and 2 x 1 GB G-Skill 800 MHz sticks in the previous firewall so I know they work. The issue is that when I power this setup on, I get NO display on the monitor, no POST beeps, the hard drive does not spin up when it had the power connected. However, the CPU fan spun, chassis fan would spin, the GPU fan would spin, and if I held the power button in, it would turn the computer off. Currently, the only things connected to the motherboard are: Powersupply to the 20-pin and the 4-pin connector by the processor, speaker wire from the case, and power switch from the case. I have also removed the CMOS battery and the RAM but still get no beeps or any indication that anything is happening. However, the RAM that I was using, it has LEDs along the spine and they light up when I first turn it on (when it is inserted into a memory slot of course) but then go out after about 15 seconds.

I have tried a separate speaker instead of the case speaker but still got no beeps or anything when it turned on. Any ideas?

All the parts I have previously used before were in working condition when I added them to this setup.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maxs40

maxs40

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

is the motherboard and cpu new (were they in working order before you attempted this setup)? 1 or both may be bad if you have another mobo that the cpu will fit chk it there to rule it out and then go back and chk each component again then your left with the mobo as the culprit....

hope this is of help 2 u

#3 gamla7

gamla7

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

By co-incidence I read the post.  That motherboard is a very good one but on the RAM size there will be a huge shortage.

============================================================================================================

Addicted to my portable T42 [xp] and a Desk PC with mobo Asus P5WD2 E PREMIUM [vista] - both operational in older OS but want to add both onto Linux.  All my application software works perfect in the XP environment. 

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

You should get beep codes without ram installed. My guess is that either the cpu or the mainboard is bad. Have you tried building the computer outside of a case? Sometimes screws get behind the motherboard (people also forget to put standouts in their cases before putting the motherboard in.

The bench test: Put the motherboard on a non conductive surface (not inside the computer case), put the cpu in and connect the cpu cooler, connect power to the 20pin and 4pin and then try to power it on again. Also instead of using the power switch (no case), short the power button pins on the motherboard, this will not harm anything as this is exactly what power buttons do (they short the 2 motherboard power pins).

If you still get no beeps from the computer with the speaker connected, you will need to test the cpu in a new board to rule it out. You could also try a different psu to rule that out.

Edited by zingo156, 07 May 2014 - 09:04 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

Maybe nothing was wrong with the computer but the monitor is dead. Just saying

#6 Falneth

Falneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

Maxs40, I have never used the motherboard or processor before because I received it used from a friend who upgraded from the it to something better. He said it was all in working condition when he gave it to me.

Gamla7, If I can get this working, I will be using it as a linux firewall so I won't need a lot of memory.

Zingo, I have already done the bench test. Still no beeps of any kind. I cannot test the cpu in a different board because this is the only Intel motherboard I have. My other motherboards are AMD. 

A.A.S in Computer and Network Support from Crowder College

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

Have you tried a different PSU?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 Falneth

Falneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

The PSU is a working PSU. I hooked it up to my old computer parts and it powered them just fine. I am going to assume either the motherboard is bad or the CPU is bad.

A.A.S in Computer and Network Support from Crowder College

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

I would agree if you get no bios error beep code with no ram installed, there must be a problem there. I have only seen a few dead cpu's and a significant number of bad motherboards so my bet is the mainboard. Unfortunately, there is no way to know without testing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users