Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused by recovery options

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AppleSquash

AppleSquash

• Validating
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

Okay, so this is a friends laptop, so I dont want to lose his data. Of course he has no back up, (even though I got him to buy a memory stick for the job!), so I'm moving with caution on this one....

He has an Advent 7109B laptop, (with a busted cd drive), that today decided it wasnt going to boot. It also wouldnt boot in safe mode, and it blue screened with "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_ERROR".

I found out that pressing F10 on these laptops get you to the Advent System Recovery software, but I am met by a dialogue box that has slightly confused me.

I am wanting to repair the installation hopefully, not do a complete reinstall, but this is what it says:

"Windows XP built-in repair features

Windows XP has it's own buit in repair features such as the 'System Restore' and driver roll-back capabilties. if you have not already tried these features please run them BEFORE continuing with this system recovery.

Clicking "No" will boot the PC directly into System Restore.

Do you still want to continue the System Recovery now?"

Could you please help me here. If it was my own pc I would select YES and expect to see another menu allowing non destructive system repair, but since its not mine and the data is important to him, I want to make completely sure that Im not being completely confused by this.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

Sounds like a destructive system "restore". If it even works due to the possibility that you have a hardware problem.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Read the information under Using the HDD Recovery System here http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/7109.htm

It will tell you how to do a repair which is the Non-destructive recovery option.

When in doubt search for the information on the manufacturers website.

#4 AppleSquash

AppleSquash
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

Yip, it does sound a bit like that....but then why the Boot into System Restore, or System recovery option?

This is an old laptop, so the battery is dead...he reckons he turned off the wrong socket, causing the error, so I was thinking that it might just some corrupt data.

I suppose the answer is to take out the HDD and make a copy before I try anything...I could get his data off it at the very least, before I try something. (Im going to have to buy a connector for the laptop hdd and he's not one for spending money, so I wasnt wanting to go down that route). 

Thanks .X.

EDIT: Queen-Evie, thats exactly where I found out about F10. Unfortunately the options stated in those instructions aren't what I'm given. :/

Edited by AppleSquash, 28 March 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#5 AppleSquash

AppleSquash
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

Thought I would pop in an update....

I took the HDD out of the laptop...after I remembered I had an empty seagate housing that would take the drive. 

Put it as an external on my win7 machine and did a repair. recover bad sectors on it, then finally went to bed....

This morning bad sectors had been repaired, so I put it back in the laptop and powered it up. As far as I can tell, everything is working fine. :) I suppose the issue may be either the accidental shutdown or a dying HDD, but Ill tell him to BACK UP before it happens again. Then if he loses the data its his fault and not some daft mistake I made with the recovery app! lol

Anyway, thanks for the help. If I ever get chance to perform the recovery Ill post here what happens. (Im still confused as to what the options actually mean. :/ )

thanks

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

If this problem is related to a sudden loss of power and the computer shut down with applications running I would suggest running sfc /scannow.  Please note that the instructions address a method of using  the i386 file if you can't use the installation disc.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

During this scan you may be prompted to insert your installation disc in the DVD/CD drive, if you have this disc you will want to have it available before you start the scan.  If you don't have this disc and are prompted for it you will need to follow the *instructions for locating the i386 file.

To initiate this scan go to Start> Run and type in sfc /scannow and then press enter.

If files are found during this scan which need to be replaced you may be prompted to insert your installation disc, do so at that time.   If it doesn't ask you for the disc this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.   In the event the the system asks you for the disc, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

***Warning, the steps below involves entering the Registry.  If a mistake is made there this can render your computer inoperable.  For this reason I suggest that you first back up the rigistry.***

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT

• Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.

Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

*If you do not have this disc you will need to locate a directory on your system which is named i386. You will need to search for this in the registry, to do this type in regedit in the Run box and then press Enter, you will see a screen similar to the one below.

registrysnip_zps5dd5b3c6.png

To find this you will need to navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see the list of HKEY options, please notice the arrow to the left of the option, when you click on this arrow the menu will expand and you will be able to find the next step “SOFTWARE”, expand the menu on this option and proceed till you reach “Setup”.  Under “Setup” you will need to find “SourcePath”.  The SourcePath probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:\, to do this double click on the SourcePath, a box will open where you will make this change by typing in C:\.

Restart your computer now and try running the scan again.

Edited by dc3, 29 March 2013 - 10:10 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users