Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete Temp Folder?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kellydgk

kellydgk

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:55 PM

My original complaint was that Disk Cleanup was not working. Someone directed me to Microsoft's website which said:
1. Click Start, click Run, type: %temp%, and then click OK to open the Temp folder. 2. In the Temp folder, on the Edit menu, click Select All, press the DELETE key, and then click Yes to confirm that you want to send all the items to the Recycle Bin.
My temp folder has subfolders in it entitled .cleanup.tmp , cookies, dll, history, temp folder, temporary internet files, Yahoo and more. It's also got files like drmtemp, instal.dll, msnmusic, setup_wm, and a whole bunch of dlls and setups, and application files. Is this really all supposed to go to the recycle bin?

Edited by kellydgk, 05 April 2006 - 07:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:53 PM

Anything in the Temp folder can be cleaned out.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 eyes_h

eyes_h

• Banned Spammer
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

just....throw it away~

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:05 PM

You cannot delete files that are currently in use. And if you hold down the shift key while hitting the delete key, you will bypass the recycle bin and permanently delete the files. I select all files and delete, and if it warns me that the file is in use, I hold down the ctrl key and uncheck that file. There are usually four or five files in use (unless you're in Safe Mode) and the rest can be deleted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users