Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk excessive spinning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 neko3000

neko3000

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Was wondering if someone could help me. My HD light flashes on and off really hard by itself like its defragging or scanning, which slows down general use. I'm not setting it to do anything, so is there anyway I can find out what is going on at all?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

Please check the Task Manager - Processes tab and see what particular task is using your CPU. If you go to Performance tab, what number percentage is your CPU usage rate?

Tekken

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

Task Manager>Processes>View>Select Columns

Select  I/O Reads and I/O Writes, click OK..  Now you can see what is eating up your HD time.

If you are short of memory, your pagefile will get hammered.  Click the "Performance" tab to see memory/pagefile usage.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 neko3000

neko3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the help, Looking at processes I have quite a few svchost.exe's listed one of which (listed as system) is using the bulk of the CPU. I'm guessing that is what is driving the hd hard for some reason. Everything else appears to be minimal except system idle process.

#5 neko3000

neko3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

I've noticed the svchost.exe secsvcs listed is using cpu. Is there anything else I should be trying here or should I request to move the thread into a different sub-forum?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

Let's try this :

Download Process Explorer on your desktop.
Right-click extract all the zip file then navigate to the extracted ProcessExplorer folder and double click procexp or procexp64.
Go to View Menu - Select Columns... Checkmark Command Line under Process Image tab.
Under File menu - Save as File Name : System Idle Process
Save as type : Process Explorer Data (*.TXT) -> OK. Save the text file on your desktop and copy/paste the result on your next reply.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users