Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing new drivers on Video card.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jgsax526

jgsax526

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

I just got a new HP computer with Windows 8 and an AMD Radeon HD 7570 video card.  The first thing I did was go to the Radeon site and download the newest driver for the card.  I then installed the driver and the install seemed successful.  However, when I check in device manager the date of the driver is still listed as Nov 2012 and the new driver is dated Jan 2013.

So could it be that I was supposed to uninstall the old driver prior to instaling the new? 

Would appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

First of all, drivers should only be updated if there is a specific reason or need to do so. One of the single biggest causes of problem reports on support sites are the result of drivers being installed / updated unnecessarily or incorrectly. If your system is working properly I strongly suggest you leave the drivers alone.

Edited by Allan, 28 March 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#3 jgsax526

jgsax526
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

Strange.  Almost every game forum I've been on in the past the first question I'm asked is about whether the video card driver is the latest or not. 

Anyway the bell is rung and I have already installed the new driver so my question still remains. 

Why isn't my computer showing the new driver in my device manager?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

It's possible the date encoded into the driver is indeed Novermber 2012 even though it was released several months later.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

I have to agree with Allan

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Gamers seem to want to squeeze every last bit of performance out of hardware, whether it is stable or not in some cases.

Just keep in mind that You could cause problems with Your HP if you need to get tech support and it isn't as delivered.

I would get the drivers for it  from the HP site.

Not to mention Who made the card, They may need their drivers for it. AMD doesn't make cards as much as they sell the GPU chips to card makers.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Well, I don't agree with that. If it's a desktop system and you need to download a driver, you should go to the website of manufacturer of the specific peripheral / card in question, not the computer manufacturer. On the other hand, all drivers for laptops should ONLY be downloaded from the website of the laptop manufacturer. But either way, you should only upgrade drivers if there is a specifc need or reason to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users