Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Freezing/sudden Restarts

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 FotoGurl

FotoGurl

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:34 PM

I have been having a lot of problems out of my windows 98 for a while now. It freezes a million times a day, and when it's not freezing it is suddenly restarting itself. It doesnt matter whether the internet is being surfed or if we're working offline. Being on E*Bay is one of the worst sites to cause freezing though, and we can usually only be on there for five minutes before it happens. Also, I try to edit my photographs and the comp just restarts itself [most of the time when I try to resize the image, go over the menu buttons, or try to change the font if I'm adding text]. I've tried installing programs to fix the problems myself, but to no avail. I have ad*aware and spybot, but they havent seemed to be much help either. I even tried downloading antivirus software but it says that there are none found. And, a lot of times the computer will freeze in the middle of the programs when we're running scan. We are about to our wits end with all these problems. If you have the time, could you please help? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eyes_h

eyes_h

• Banned Spammer
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:09 PM

maybe facing a high temperature;or maybe bad clusters;or maybe virus like CIH~~~what anti v soft did u use?

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:20 PM

Have you run a scandisk, and defragged, lately?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:30 AM

It also maybe a heat related issue. When was the last time you cleaned he inside of your computer?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 FotoGurl

FotoGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

maybe facing a high temperature;or maybe bad clusters;or maybe virus like CIH~~~what anti v soft did u use?

I've used Avast and AVG.

Have you run a scandisk, and defragged, lately?

It freezes before it gets 1/2 way through.

It also maybe a heat related issue. When was the last time you cleaned he inside of your computer?

I haven't a clue as how to do that...

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:59 AM

I haven't a clue as how to do that...

Look here.

#7 FotoGurl

FotoGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:39 PM

When I click on the link, it opens the page up but freezes right after.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:29 PM

You said it freezes before it gets 1/2 way through scandisk, and defrag.
Have you tried to run it in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:38 PM

How much free hard drive space do you have. Windows with not function properly if you have leaa than 15% free hard drive space.

#10 FotoGurl

FotoGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:31 AM

How much free hard drive space do you have. Windows with not function properly if you have leaa than 15% free hard drive space.

How do I find this out?

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:50 PM

In my computer right click the C:\ and select properties.

#12 FotoGurl

FotoGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:57 PM

Used: 8.37 gb
Free: 7.52 gb
Capacity: 15.8 gb

--do I click on disk cleanup??

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:16 PM

You have plenty of free hard drive space. Yes I would run disk cleanup atleast weekly, and defrag monthly.

#14 FotoGurl

FotoGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:21 PM

Ok, will do. Thanks!

#15 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:41 PM

Dang you really must have a problem. You should have at most 2.00GBs of hard drive space used on a Windows 98SE or Windows 98 and that is with a few extra things you need. If you have more than this then you really must have some extra stuff you don't need on there. I recommend you running Add/Remove Programs and remove all programs you have on there that are unnessary. Because the more space you use on your hard drive the slower and more sluggish your computer will get. I have my computer set up perfectlly. I have 2 Hard drives 1 of them is partitioned. One is the Windows Hard drive. The other 2 are the partitioned Hard drive one is the Programs Partition and the other is the Installers Partition. With my computer being set up like this. If for some reason I have to reformat my computer I can easily reinstall everything and also save space on my windows hard drive by getting all my programs installed to my Programs Partition.
William Montgomery Walters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users