Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot, Need Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Abluhwleh

Abluhwleh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Hi All

Hoping for some assistance here. I just upgraded video card drivers to the latest version following a notification from nVidia control centre and the computer froze completely requiring me to power it off manually. Now when I try to start it up, the fan spins up and hard drive activity light flashes as normal, but the display will not receive any signal at all. Also the Caps Lock and Num Lock don't seem to work either so I'm thinking it might be a whole system crash rather than just the video card that's not playing ball.

System Info Below

Intel Core 2 E4500
nVidia 8600 GT video card
4Gb RAM
Windows 7

Any more info you need I'll be happy to provide. If I could see what I was doing, rolling back the driver upgrade would be simple enough but I can't and it's frustrating as hell. Anyone able to help will receive my eternal gratitude and possibly some cookies.

Marc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Redplauge

Redplauge

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

First off, your going to have to use your onboard video and not your graphics card to look an what is going on and I would suggest booting in safe mode, second uninstall the drivers and then use the manufacture site to auto detect your card and install those drivers. hope this helps

#3 Abluhwleh

Abluhwleh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Hi Redplauge

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Don't know why it didn't occur to me to try the onboard video before, but I did it just now with the same outcome, which was rather frustrating. If you or anyone else has any other ideas I'd appreciate it tons.

#4 Redplauge

Redplauge

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Hi again,

My next approach would to get online sonehow and download an iso of seatools, which can be found here http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/ and check to see if the hard drive has failed.  if it has it will be expensive to get the information back if it is a complete fail, if its just the os would should be able to mount the drive in another O/S and grab the info. This is going to require you to burn these file to a CD and select boot from CD in your bios, test the hard drive and see if it passes, a pass dosent really mean that it isnt failing it just means that the sofware didn't detect it.

Edited by Redplauge, 01 April 2013 - 08:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users