Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safest instant messengers - most private

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 How Does It Work

How Does It Work

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

I have people hounding me to use specific instant messaging applications on my device, but I think that applications are more of a privacy concern than the old school web based instant messaging services.  I don't know much about this topic, so I would like your input. 

My main concern is privacy issues of applications collecting information from my device.  My secondary concern is other people I'm messaging potentially hacking into my device, such as if I am messaging other players from an online game, whom I don't know. 

Is it less safe to use an application than it is to use a web-based messenger?  It seems that applications have more access to personal information.  Websites usually don't make you agree to privacy policies about collecting your information. 

If I want to use an instant messenger, which ones would you say are the least likely to be fishing the device for my personal information?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have people hounding me to use specific instant messaging applications on my device, but I think that applications are more of a privacy concern than the old school web based instant messaging services.  I don't know much about this topic, so I would like your input. 

My main concern is privacy issues of applications collecting information from my device.  My secondary concern is other people I'm messaging potentially hacking into my device, such as if I am messaging other players from an online game, whom I don't know. 

Is it less safe to use an application than it is to use a web-based messenger?  It seems that applications have more access to personal information.  Websites usually don't make you agree to privacy policies about collecting your information. 

If I want to use an instant messenger, which ones would you say are the least likely to be fishing the device for my personal information?

Since you posted to the iOS forum, I assume you are look for an instant messenger for an iOS device.  If so, then you should keep in mind that iOS does restrict what information apps can see and cannot see.  Unless you give an app access to your contacts and other personal information, an instant message won't have access to that data.

As to which to recommend, you first will likely want to specify which messaging protocols/services you want to use.  Not all messenger apps will work will all services.

#3 How Does It Work

How Does It Work
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thank you for your response.  I appreciate it. 

Yes, I will be using it on an iOS device.  I do not need any additional features.  I only need to be able to send and receive messages. 
I don't want it to be an app.  I want to simply sign into the website from my device.  It's alright if it is available as an app also, I just would prefer to access it from the web.  If I'm wrong about web based instant messaging being safer, please let me know. 

I'm being asked to use Kakao and/or Kik and I don't like either of their privacy policies.  Both of them can access your personal information from your device.  They both go right into your address book and I don't know if there is a way to block the app from doing that. 

I'm trying to convince my friends to use a web based instant messenger instead of an app. 

Can you tell me which one(s) you think are the least likely to be data mining the devices of the users? 

Or if not, can you tell me what precautions I can take to prevent/block the app from data mining/phishing/etc.?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

I'm being asked to use Kakao and/or Kik and I don't like either of their privacy policies.  Both of them can access your personal information from your device.  They both go right into your address book and I don't know if there is a way to block the app from doing that.

If you are running iOS version 6.x, then you can prevent ANY app from accessing your contacts, calendars, photos, etc.  It is under the Privacy setting in the Settings app.  Thus, you can block a messaging app from accessing your contacts/address book.  

Now, it might be possible that some messaging apps may not work without access to your contacts, but I don't really see why they could not work without such access.

#5 How Does It Work

How Does It Work
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Sweet!  Thanks!

So, which messaging/chat would you recommend as the safest to use?

#6 iWiz

iWiz

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

I understand your concern. However, before applications are submitted and pushed for public release, they are manually checked by Apple. Many apps do collect personal information, but I will say this, "no form of maladaptive behaviors" have been noted or reported for IM apps so far.

#7 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:52 AM

Technically iMessage is the safest. In fact, it's so safe that Apple needs to make it less safe.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57577887-38/apples-imessage-encryption-trips-up-feds-surveillance/

If your friend has an iDevice, this is your best bet. Plus it's also the fastest since it's neither a 3rd party app nor requires going to a website- which would be painfully slow if not optimized for mobile devices. 

Unofficial iOS Genius

#8 hnbp16

hnbp16

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:29 AM

As of today, which messenger can you recommend guys as really safe and quick? 

#9 Zahid Iqbal1

Zahid Iqbal1

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:21 AM

i don't thing there is anyone safe

#10 hnbp16

hnbp16

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:44 AM

Maybe if there is no sever where personal messages go before reaching the receiver, it will be quite safe. But I can't find such kind of messenger yet...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users