Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best antivirus protection?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lumara

Lumara

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

I used Norton 360 for a year, and the protection was excellent, but it slowed down my system so much that I decided not to renew. I switched to Free AVG and my computer became infected with the malicious oyodom.com virus, so I'm no longer a fan of Free AVG. I'm currently using a free trial of Vipre, which I had never heard of before, but which a friend read was the best.

I was wondering if BleepingComputer could tell me if Vipre is very good, or if there is something better, but not more expensive ($39.99). Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

There is no best Antivirus, They tend to leapfrog each other in best performance IMO.

I can tell what I use. I use Norton 2013 Antivirus with Antispyware, Not the Norton Internet security suite or Norton 360. as well as the paid version of Malwarebytes anti Malware.They do not slow down my computer but then it is a I7 with 6Gb memory. When I'm searching the Internet for information they pop up warnings that they blocked this or that several times a day. Typically every page or two in a Google search. I also use Web Of Trust.

Have You read this post? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/

Any Antivirus is better than none. Part of the security practice has to be common sense, Don't open attachments, Don't download from PopUps, Don't search for Free without being skeptical. For example for Free AntiMalware programs, Get them through this site. For Free Video programs go to www.videohelp.com. These sites have been around and are reliable.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. Using these my CPU usage is showing 0% and 1.6Gb memory used. That includes FireFox and Thunderbird running.

Edited by rotor123, 28 March 2013 - 01:01 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489839/oyodomo-virus-2/#entry3012308
Please stay with your current Am I Infected post linked above with boopme first -

Hi -
Vipre is usually considered among the better Antivirus programs around, but as per rotor123, there is no single Antivirus program that is best for all users . . . .
They all have good points and all have features installed that make it easier (or harder) to use them.
One of the main points is to find a program that you can use in the way that you wish to use ! !

We all prefer one or another version of a certain brand, and I currently use none of the programs you list. So I feel my choice is not related to your actual question, since you usually always get 10 "personally preferred programs" listed in paid and free versions -

I can say that I have never paid for an Antivirus, but I have used "Trial Versions" of Paid programs and always gone back to a Free version.

Currently I would not "Personally Only" put AVG as a better pertormer, but they may alter their program back to what it once was.

I also hope that you fully uninstalled your AVG prior to installing Vipre, as there can be conflicts with the 2 programs.

Thank You -

#4 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

Hi,

I think You Should post your problem of Norton 360 in the Norton Forum(community.norton.com)

Do these After You Get your System Fixed..................

Not Now or  you will end up in a really bad situation

I have Tried Norton Antivirus/Internet Security IMO only i think Its extremely light It did not slow down my Lappy

you should defragment your Harddisk and remove temporary files to see if their is any improvement in performance 

avoid unnecessary start up item like AdobeARM and plenty of others 

BTW Norton was much Lighter than Kaspersky and BitDefender.....

But The lightest has to be Eset Smart Security  Its lighter than Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast or any other AV I have tried out........

Just thought you may know when I had MSE Installed it took quite a while to load my Visual Studio Projects and my Net Beans to start up but with Norton it reduced 

with Eset even more

Try 2 or 3 AV`s before you purchase

Norton 360 `s protection components are not superior to the Internet Security / Antivirus(Has no Firewall but everything else is the Same)

I don`t have a fast Laptop just the Usual  Core i3 with 4 GB Ram..........................

Midou

#5 aztony

aztony

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

I have been using AVG free since switching from avast just over a year ago because of system stability issues. In that time I have had no problems with AVG. Nothing has gotten by it. It works quietly, effectively, and efficiently in the background; lite on system resources. That said, no one AV solution is 100% foolproof. A key factor that will have a direct impact on level of risk a system will be subjected to is the browsing habits of its user.  

Athlon 64x2 dual core, 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 750HDD, win7, AVG free, Privatefirewall, Winpatrol+, Zemana anti-keylogger, MBAM & SAS

Edited by aztony, 01 April 2013 - 11:03 PM.

#6 danieladdison65

danieladdison65

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:57 AM

According to me I use Norton for my System. I have no problem with this antivirus. The another main thing is that Norton give full support to me by Norton online chat team at any time

#7 Lumara

Lumara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

I won't use free AVG again because I've had bad luck with it. I used it successfully for 2 years, then got a virus that prevented my computer from booting up, and it was expensive to get rid of. Then I purchased Norton 360, and it slowed my system down so much that I refused to renew it, then went back to Free AVG. Then my computer became infected with the oyodomo.com virus, so no more Free AVG for me.

I'm still using the free trial with Vipre, but probably won't buy it. After doing some research, I learned that the top 3 recommended by PC mag so far for 2013 are Norton, Webroot and BitDefender. PC Mag said that Webroot received a score of 9.9 out of 10 for blocking malware, so I'm inclined to go with Webroot.

My job as a contract writer involves doing hours of online research almost every day, so I need the best, affordable antivirus package I can get.

Edited by Lumara, 02 April 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#8 aztony

aztony

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

I won't use free AVG again because I've had bad luck with it. I used it successfully for 2 years, then got a virus that prevented my computer from booting up, and it was expensive to get rid of. Then I purchased Norton 360, and it slowed my system down so much that I refused to renew it, then went back to Free AVG. Then my computer became infected with the oyodomo.com virus, so no more Free AVG for me.

I'm still using the free trial with Vipre, but probably won't buy it. After doing some research, I learned that the top 3 recommended by PC mag so far for 2013 are Norton, Webroot and BitDefender. PC Mag said that Webroot received a score of 9.9 out of 10 for blocking malware, so I'm inclined to go with Webroot.

My job as a contract writer involves doing hours of online research almost every day, so I need the best, affordable antivirus package I can get.

My job as a contract writer involves doing hours of online research. Bear in mind that any free antivirus offers only basic protection. Since your job involves a great deal of web browsing/surfing, which is how the majority of infections occur nowadays, it probably will make more sense to get a paid for program that offers more in the way of protection. Good luck. I am a freelance writer, and I do a fair amount of research myself, but so far everything that has tried get onto my PC was intercepted and blocked. And that was by both avast free, and AVG free.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

HI

I would suggest that You might add the Paid version of Malwarebytes Anti Malware that has active protection to run alongside of your Antivirus. I use it with Norton 2013 Antivirus with Antispyware and the combo seems to work pretty good.

I use Google a lot too and it is amazing how many malicious websites the Malwarebytes/Norton combo block.

FWIW I consider the one time cost for the Malwarebytes and the yearly fee for Norton well worth it compared to catching a virus.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#10 iugreen

iugreen

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:56 AM

AV-TEST conducted a new series of tests to determine the best anti-virus currently available for Windows XP which will be soon discontinued. The independent IT-Security institute tested 25 anti-virus software.

the-best-antivirus.png

As you can see, Microsoft’s very own Security Essentials 4.3 is still considered as a baseline. Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 provides the best security to Windows XP computers, followed by F-Secure Internet Security, Bitdefender Internet Security 2014, and Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2014.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

There are several labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc.

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Please read:
* Choosing Your Anti-virus Software
* Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 Flux_Capacitor

Flux_Capacitor

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

At the moment I'm a fan of Kaspersky and Comodo (free), however, like others have already said, peoples preferences are mainly subjective. The only AV I'd suggest isn't too great is McAfee.

Though I have no basis for this feeling, I do wonder how 'independent' those AV test sites are :P

A little off topic, Malwarebytes Pro is probably a good compliment to any AV.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

I have had Malwarebytes Pro protect me more than once. So I now have it on all the computers in the house.

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018