Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bosslike

bosslike

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

I recently did a netsh int reset in my command promt and after i restarted my computer its been stuck on "Configuring Updates Stage 3 of 3 - 0% Completed. Do not turn off your computer. It then restarts. This keeps happening over and over, goes to the Windows Update screen, then restarts. Is this normal? Or is there anything i can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:53 AM

Worth a look here and Welcome to BC bosslike. :)

Tekken

#3 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:06 AM

Agh. Please, whatever you do, don't completely delete pending.xml. At the very least, rename it only.

Yes, it will seem to fix your computer, but at quite a cost. Any actions which should have been put through on the reboot will end up never going through. This leaves the servicing components in an inconsistent state, and it is impossible to say what sort of unstable state it will leave the computer in.  

It is likely that I will not be able to fix such problems. And if you completely delete the file, you will leave me no forensics either, and my job will be even harder. So, please, please don't delete it unless you have already, because otherwise you may end up having to reinstall in a couple of days time anyway.

Of course, the correct fix is this: http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2009/10/15/getting-out-of-a-no-boot-situation-after-installing-updates-on-windows-7-2008r2.aspx

I am not saying that deleting pending.xml doesn't work, but it is a truly horrific fix created by people who don't fully understand what is going on, and talk as though they do, and it has now spread to every nook and cranny of the internet.

And in Windows 7, there is a safe alternative. :( Just boot to a command prompt and type dism /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

and the same result will be achieved in a much better way.

Richard

Edited by niemiro, 29 March 2013 - 04:07 AM.

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

Yes, I'm a bit weird :P

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

<<I am not saying that deleting pending.xml doesn't work, but it is a truly horrific fix created by people who don't fully understand what is going on, and talk as though they do, and it has now spread to every nook and cranny of the internet.>>

Appreciate your "expertise" and commentary...but...if it does the job, it does the job...and the member just wants a solution that can...do the job.

Louis

#5 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

<<I am not saying that deleting pending.xml doesn't work, but it is a truly horrific fix created by people who don't fully understand what is going on, and talk as though they do, and it has now spread to every nook and cranny of the internet.>>

Appreciate your "expertise" and commentary...but...if it does the job, it does the job...and the member just wants a solution that can...do the job.

Louis

I am very sorry how I phrased myself there. It was completely unnecessary, and did not add any value.

However, I personally believe my point still stands. Please understand that I mean absolutely no offense by this, and I am really, really sorry for continuing right now, but I would like a chance to explain myself.

Yes, it does work, but at the cost of potentially not updating whatever files have yet to be updated on that reboot.

The risk is fairly small, but there is a chance of Windows Update not working again afterwards. There is even a very, very (and I mean very) small chance of OS instability if certain Windows files have been updated, and others not.

The fix I put forward removes these albeit slight risks by guaranteeing a roll-back. And my point about not deleting it so I have it for forensics should Windows Update later not work also stands.

The roll-back procedure is good, so these risks are small, but Microsoft did not create this tool for nothing. The risks do exist.

Richard

Edited by niemiro, 29 March 2013 - 01:11 PM.

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

#6 bosslike

bosslike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

Well, i haven't done anything yet because i can't find that dang CD, but i am about to try that other fix. Just to make sure is the other one basically saying start in safe mode with command prompt, then type in   DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions?

#7 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

Well, i haven't done anything yet because i can't find that dang CD, but i am about to try that other fix. Just to make sure is the other one basically saying start in safe mode with command prompt, then type in   DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions?

That would be my personal recommendation. You can't go far wrong with that method.

But if it comes to it, don't hesitate to rename pending.xml. As long as I have a copy for forensics, I have a good chance of fixing it with a bit of effort in the unlikely case that something does go wrong. Which it may even not at all.

Richard

#8 bosslike

bosslike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

I

That would be my personal recommendation. You can't go far wrong with that method.

But if it comes to it, don't hesitate to rename pending.xml. As long as I have a copy for forensics, I have a good chance of fixing it with a bit of effort in the unlikely case that something does go wrong. Which it may even not at all.

Richard

I actually can't go into safe mode either :( It just restarts then goes into the Windows Update screen. At this point I just want to do a factory restore, because even before this problem i had internet issues, so before i go ahead and do something stupid i would like to know if that is even possible or if it will just damage my computer even more.

#9 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

I

Richard

I actually can't go into safe mode either :( It just restarts then goes into the Windows Update screen. At this point I just want to do a factory restore, because even before this problem i had internet issues, so before i go ahead and do something stupid i would like to know if that is even possible or if it will just damage my computer even more.

Hello again :)

If you don't have any files you need to back up, and you don't have too, too many programs installed, it may well be faster to reinstall now rather than faffing around for ages with a fix. This is ultimately a decision you need to make, but it will probably do your computer a world of good and make it run faster all at the same time.

If you do still want to carry on with the fix, we will continue to assist you, but you will have to try to track down a Windows disk, use Linux to perform whatever fix, or buy replacement media from your system manufacturer.

If Safe Mode with Command Prompt doesn't work, then we have to boot from a CD/DVD to perform a fix.

I can think you can see where this is going. It may well be best to perform a factory reinstall and get it over with. But if you do want to try to fix the problem, I will do my best to talk you through it.

Richard

#10 bosslike

bosslike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Yeah im just going to go ahead and do a factory restore. Thanks so much for all your help and consideration for the past couple of days, really means a lot to me :D

#11 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:47 AM

Yeah im just going to go ahead and do a factory restore. Thanks so much for all your help and consideration for the past couple of days, really means a lot to me :D

No problem, it sounds like your best bet anyway. I hope that this sees away all of your problems :)

Take care!

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users