Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) with an nVidia GeForce 8400 GS (256MB 256 PCIe) graphics card and an ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboard.

This morning I turned my computer on and it worked fine for a bit. Then it froze so I restarted, after which the screen resolution had got a lot smaller and the quality of the graphics had reduced dramatically. I tried to increase the resolution but the option was greyed out. 

I tried updating the driver for my graphics card, but that didn't help.

I've looked in Device Manager, but it isn't reporting a problem with the graphics card, or any other hardware.

I've attached a screen dump to show what my display now looks like.

Please can someone suggest how to fix the problem and get my display back to normal?

Thanks,

Joe

Attached Files

Edited by joebeaven, 28 March 2013 - 05:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 steel027

steel027

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

from my experience its an indicator your video card is on its way to the gfx afterlife. lol I had the same issue with my gts 250 by bfg and a few months later dead. no video. it could be a few cores or memory chips are going bad. either way a new gfx is my suggestion.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

That does look just like a video card running on the standard VGA drivers in windows.  In Device Manager, look for any yellow marks next to your video card, ? or !.

You might need to remove the drivers completely, then do a reinstall.  Really odd it should do it when it did.  Were any updates installed on reboot?  Any hard drive problems?

EDIT:  As steel027 said above, there is a chance there might be a hardware problem with your graphics card.  Those 8XXX GPUs were known for having problems with the solder joints on the GPU, and they tended to crack/fracture after repeated heat/cold cycles.

Edited by dpunisher, 28 March 2013 - 08:50 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've sent for a new card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users