Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nero 6 And Mp3s

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:45 PM

I have like 2 or 3 q's, if not more, so bear with me

1. I use NERO 6 to burn my MP3 CDs (thank you whoever invented the mp3 cd player!), they all work fine, except when i try to use them in my SONY Walkman Psyc MP3/ATRAC Plus CD Player. some it will play, and others it won't. when i put the cd in any of my computers, all the songs show up. one thing that I have noted, is that most of the ones that do show up, i burned using the OLD ripping decoder of WMP10. now since i updated it, my cd player wont read them. is there a way to revert back to the old decoder and change all the mp3s to that format? if not, i'll just use the program that sony gave me with the cd player (upto 490 songs on one cd!!)

2. what use 'used read buffer' in nero? and why does it slow down my burning process? i have noted that recently when i was bored enough to actually realize it.

that's all thanks

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

Hello,
I have no idea about your first question, so I am unable to help there, but with regards to the second question you asked..

Nero normally shows two buffers, the Software read buffer (which is typically sized from around 40-80Mb, automatic or settable in preferences ultrabuffer, and the drive buffer (typically a 2Mb buffer).

At the start of a burn, the software buffer (which I think is the "used read buffer") is tanked up to 100% by prereading the first files (or the first part of the file) to be burned.

Now in the buffer dance that follows, the writer fills it's buffer from the software one, and Nero tries to keep the buffer filled, until the end of the burn, when the buffer will drain out as it completes.

If the writer draws data faster than it can be read into the buffer, the buffer will deplete - and when both buffers hit zero (other than in the final rundown) then you either have an underrun recovery ("BurnProof") if any underrun recovery is supported and enabled, or a buffer underrun and a failad burn (coaster) if it was not supported and enabled.

The read buffer should ideally flicker around the 99% (used) during a burn - if it repeatedly depletes, then either use a lower burning speed, or take measures to improve the read transfer rate:

1. Defragment the hard drive
2. Ensure that both the HD and the writer are in DMA mode
3. Avoid putting the writer on the same IDE cable as the drive you are reading from
4. Avoid putting any additional load on the system while burning

Hope this is helpful or useful,
Charles :thumbsup:

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:00 PM

How do I make sure they are both in DMA (what is that?) mode? No, they are not on the same cable.

In regards to your answer for the 1st question, no problem. I just need to figure this out myself, if nobody can help me.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:28 AM

Hello legoman,
DMA mode stands for 'Direct Memory Access' and as for enabling it..

Enabling DMA mode in Windows 2000/XP

The first thing to do is to right click on “My Computer”. You can use the icon in the Start Menu or the one on the Desktop. Once you have right clicked on it then choose “Properties”.

The next thing to do is to click the “Hardware” tab at the top of the screen. From here you need to hit the “Device Manager” button.

Next, left click on the + sign of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Then double click on Primary IDE Channel.

CLick on Advanced Settings (at the top). Now, if under 'Transfer Mode' on both device 0 and device 1 you only have PIO Mode, and NOT 'DMA if available', then you'll need to click on 'Driver' tab on the top, next to 'Advanced Settings & Details', and uninstall the driver.

Click OK and restart your computer, and once you have, Windows should detect your Primary IDE Channel driver and automatically re-install it for you. Now repeat the same steps to uninstall your Secondary IDE Channel driver.

**NOTE: If you've uninstalled via Primary and Secondary IDE Channels and your DVD burner is still having DMA issues, then you may need to uninstall your burner's driver via DVD/CD-ROM

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:35 AM

Oops, cut my post short :thumbsup:

**NOTE: If you've uninstalled via Primary and Secondary IDE Channels and your DVD burner is still having DMA issues, then you may need to uninstall your burner's driver via DVD/CD-ROM Drives. **

1) Left click on DVD/CR-ROM Drives

2) Double click on your DVD burner

3) Click on driver (at the top)

4) Then Uninstall

5) Now click OK and restart your computer. Once you have, Windows will re-install your burner for you.

If you're not sure where/which IDE Channel that your DVD burner is installed under, you can verify with Nero InfoTool. To check which one, click on Nero Start Smart, Nero Toolkit, Nero InfoTool, then Configuration.

Hope this helps with your request, :flowers:
Charles

Posted Image

#6 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:45 AM

I'm gonna have to try that after I get back home from school (which may be after 4:00PM MST :thumbsup: )

- Rick Cook

#7 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:47 AM

Okay, let me know if it works..

Posted Image

#8 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:44 AM

ok my cd drive is master and my dvd writer is slave... DEVICE 0 is DMA and DEVICE 1 is PIO
I have to do everything tomorrow morning cuz its too late now qurter till 11

- Rick Cook

#9 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:43 AM

I have the little drop down on DEVICE 1 for DMA, do I go ahead and switch it over?

- Rick Cook

#10 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:40 AM

Yeah, try it and see if it works :thumbsup:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users