Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing PSU in DELL - connectors not same

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RAPHelp

RAPHelp

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Am about to replace the PSU in my Dell Inspeiron desktop 545 and have ordered an Antec PSU, but while waiting checked inside the CPU and found that the original Dell PSU had power connectors that aren't normal. The original PSU connectors do not have the normal "round" female connections ... They're flat connections.

Based on this (and some of the forum entries) suspect the motherboard connector will not be the same either.

I've searched the forum entries but am confused by multiple suggestions.

Does the PSU connector inconsistency mean that I should order of PSU from Dell?

(Several years ago – on a different Dell CPU – I added a second hard drive and the power connectors worked fine – – but the HDD and DVR units currently have different power connections.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

There is a little information and picture about an Antec PSU power connection here with images. Hope this helps http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_power.htm

Tekken

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:33 AM

I am looking at a 545 motherboard, and it appears to have a regular 24 pin plus 4 pin connector by the CPU socket.

Am I missing something?  This is the full size case and not some slimline variant?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

Thank you both for the responses.

The connectors are the 'power' connectors for the DVR and HDD and are for SATA devices ... I was thinking about my previous PC (which had IDE devices) and forgot that the current PC is a '21st century' machine (and I'm still thinking '19th century').

Anyway,  found a 'genuine' Dell replacement PSU at Amazon which will fit in my case and connect correctly ... so

Thanks agtain

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

it has been my experience that most bcc users prefer antec, coolermaster and corsair. but those are for the newer mobos.. but for the legacy machines like mine (intel 915gro mobo), i would recommend thermaltake. i had to diagram with a hand drawing all the connections the old burnt out psu was connecting to and the thermaltake replacement psu nailed all of those connections watertight with extra connections like hdd in plentiful fashion.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

Are you talking about the periphials connectors, for like the hard drives, and such? there are 2 types the 4 pin molex

molex_zpse3de204f.jpeg

And the sata power

satapowerfaq_zpsce4f411c.jpg

most of your older standard hard drives and DVD drives use the molex while most newer models, use the SATA. Most brand PSUs, from thermaltake, antec, corsair, etc, have both, and if your using an older computer, its important to check how many of the molex connectors you need before ordering the PSU, but typically all major brands should offer at least some PSUs that have both.

As far as the motherboard power, with dell theres occasional years they did special power wire arrangements, but for the most part, they went standard. The only difference might be if they used a 20 pin or a 24 pin-and most PSUs have the option to do either, but not all-check to see if it does before ordering, under motherboard power it should say something along the lines of 20+4. If it is a 20 pin PSU connect on the motherboard you just plug in the 20 pin conenctor-if its a 24 pin, you connect the 20 pin connector plus the attached 4 pin connector.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Thank you both for the responses.

The connectors are the 'power' connectors for the DVR and HDD and are for SATA devices ... I was thinking about my previous PC (which had IDE devices) and forgot that the current PC is a '21st century' machine (and I'm still thinking '19th century').

Anyway,  found a 'genuine' Dell replacement PSU at Amazon which will fit in my case and connect correctly ... so

Thanks agtain

This is probably good as Dell had a nasty habit of using proprietary power supplies in the past.  I don't know for sure if they still do or where the "break point" is if they no long do.

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

my additional hdd doesn't use the molex, and this dual rail thermaltake 430w has three hdd connectors and has plenty of molex connectors also. i always thought the molex connectors were for extra fans and such, so i stand corrected. anyway, i have had my thermaltake since 2009 and it has delivered trouble-free performance.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#9 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

Thank y'all for the many responses.

I replaced the PSU several days ago and have been waiting before updating this – my PC is working fine.

My previous PCs had IDE devices and thus I was used to the MOLEX connectors, but this PC has SATA devices.

Bottom line, this issue is resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users