Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding new hardware? Internet laptop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hi Folks!
How is everyone doing today?

Okay, so I got a question for you.
I know there is somebody who knows the answer...

Is there a card that you can get for the laptop that allows you to have internet connection?
:welcome:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

If you laptop has a PCMCIA slot you can purchase one similar to These

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

Sneakycyber,
Nice ta met ya!
Howdy Pilgram :tophat: --

Yes, it is true that I do have a working external card slot. However, that is only to use WITH a modem.

The question that I want to ask you is "if" it is possible for you to get an internal? card that you can put in your laptop that would allow you to have internet connection without a home modem 1' plastic box or hotspot from another modem in a building? The reason that I'm asking is because someone said that it was possible to get one. But I don't know if it is true, what the limitations are, and all that.

I have heard of a software program that allows you to create a hotspot where you are. But this is "software", not hardware. AND I don't know much about it, other than that it exists.

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

I am not aware of any internal card that is capable of providing internet connection other than a USB broadband or modem.

Tekken

#5 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

Sneakycyber,

Someone said that they aren't making the "make a hotspot hardware PCMI cards" anymore...
[They are up to the "G" rating now, which would make you compatible with this univeral system]

But the link that you gave is still nice because I could still get one of these cards for my home internet use so that I can free up my USB port.
That'd be nice, as I only have 1 USB port and I'm not using the card port for anything anyways.

So you've never heard of the software that can "create" a hotspot for your computer?!!!

Jhayz,
Okay, so it must be an "external" peice of hardware then.
Now I know. 
Thank you.

That sure narrows things down a bit.

[Starfleet Captain]

Edited by James T Kirk, 29 March 2013 - 11:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users