Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

why combofix running is dangerous without an expert?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dare2winn

dare2winn

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

i read in this forum that running of combofix is dangerous but how? this question is killing me/ .. is this software is harmful? if yes then why  is it available in newer and newer version.

or if you say software is good but only expert can run it  then kindly tell me after closing the windows i run the combofix.exe which not even ask installation and performs and no any way of customize while running and leaves the log. it is suggested that not even touch the pc while running...so what an expert would do when he was doing the same what i did? so why do we need the expert....please suggest me to break out this query

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

See this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dare2winn

dare2winn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

See this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

yeah i read it; but couldnt get the answer that once the combofix is run then what an expert can do that i cant do....it the link it has been said that expert can study the log but once the combofix does it job then what is the advantage of reading log;;;;please help me in these two questions

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

A helper is needed for interpreting the output logs, for writing the script to accompany the tool, and for what to do about the malware that ComboFix does not fix or that which is a false positive. Nor are daily changes in the tool (that may cause conflicts /issues) included in Bleeping Computer's instructions.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-293341/combofix-anyone-find-it-useful/

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,987 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

You may also wish to read this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/207409/anyone-ever-get-this/#entry1159014 by Papakid.

Here is part of what he wrote:

Running ComboFix by yourself is like performing open heart surgery on yourself--the scalpel and other surgical tools that is ComboFix is meant to be wielded by a highly trained surgeon only in emergencies or dire circumstances. When the surgeon is thru s/he leaves the room. So combofix should be removed from a system once it has accomplished its job, unlike an AV that is there to protect you from future infections.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

One additional thing here. Any of the trained experts has access to the developer as a resource should anything go wrong with the scan or ComboFix itself. This is something you would not have access to if running it on your own.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hello -

I hope you noted this part of the Disclaimer that comes with the program, as this is part of what is being conveyed to you.

:spacer: ComboFix is provided as is, without warranty of any kind.
:spacer: All implied warranties are expressly disclaimed. If you do not agree to the
:spacer: terms stipulated by sUBs, use of his tool is at your own risk.

Bleeping Computer and sUBs will not be responsible for any damage caused to your machine by misusing or running ComboFix on your own.

The mentioned logs will also tell an Expert if there are other problems that need further attention or not.

There are usually one or 2 posts most weeks from people that can no longer connect to internet, or similar problems after using the program. This is one of the areas that the Experts are trained in helping you with fixing.

You must note that this program is not like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or SUPERAntiSpyware, that are generally harmless to your system and only scan for installed problems. Also the Experts are notified if a new / updated version of ComboFix is available, and the old version should be deleted -

The program also requires correct uninstalling after a scan has been completed, as it is not able to just update it -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users