Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet fast in Safe Mode, slow in User

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 steveob

steveob

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

Hi, first post to this forum.  Hope someone can help.

Bought a new desktop running Win 7 64bit in September and at same time changed ISP to cable for fibreoptic.  At first download was 60+mbps .  Checked a few times using speedtest.net and always the same, so stopped checking in early November.  In December bought a Radeon graphics card  and in January realised that internet was now really slow.  Numerous checks on Speedtest gave between 1 and 3 mbps.  Tried disabling various things at startup but no change.  Finally, two weeks ago took out the graphics card and went back to the Intel on board graphics.

Instant success.  60+ again.  Then realised that among the startup processes I had disabled was networking so Home Group was not available.  Went back to "normal" boot and immediately Home Group started working but speed went back to 1 to 3 mbps.

So, started in Safe Mode and back up to 60+!

Question is, was it just the graphics card and associated software or some other process?  If anyone can give me some guidance I will be most grateful.

Incidentally, it is not an ISP problem as my Linux laptop has been giving 60+ mbps the whole time.

Have run CCleaner and Malwarebytes to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 steveob

steveob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

I posted a few weeks ago re slow internet download of 2mbps as user and 60+ in Safe Mode.  Most grateful for the replies I received.

Finally solved the problem by creating a new standard user account without administrator rights.  Speed was immediately 60+.  The clue was that I got two flashing shields in the new account asking me for admin password for "Asus AI Suite 11" and "Netsvchelpentry".  A google showed that this latter was part of AI Suite and that it could be turned off.  Asus says it should give a more controlled internet experience!!!!

Turned it off and now get consistent 62/3 mbps downolad and 3mbps upload.Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem with an Asus M/Board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users