Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking recommendations for an external HDD (for backup purposes)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Good afternoon everyone,

I am seeking any suggestions for an external hard drive (in the 600 GB - 1 TB range) which I could easily attach to a USB port or some other type port on my computer and utilize to essentially create an identical backup of EVERYTHING (including Windows system files) on my present internal HDD.  (my computer specs are shown below in the signature line).  The purpose being...if for some reason my internal HDD were to become corrupted or otherwise unusable (as a result of a malware infection, for example), I could restore everything to the internal hard drive.  (I DO have a Win 7 Pro, 64-bit & 32-bit backup CD available...which came with this machine).

* I presently store all personal data files on two USB flash drives.

I would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations for an external HDD of the capacity mentioned above that has a decent "track record" of reliability and doesn't require a lot of technical expertise to attach it to my present computer and use.

Thank you for your time and any suggestions! :)

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

I've been using Western Digital My Book externals for quite a few years with complete success. Several associates and friends have the same experience. In fact Walmart has the 1TB model for 89.99.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hard-Drive-Enclosures/15222296

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/external/desktop/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Thanks very much for the feedback, Animal!

I'll check it out!

Best regards,

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

You're quite welcome.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users