Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell studio 540 got kicked and now will not boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 casmik

casmik

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

I am trying to help my sister fix her comp., it's a dell studio 540 running win vista home premium.  her daughter accidentally kicked the computer and now it won't boot.  it says no boot device.  it shows that the hard drive is installed and also the dvd burner but still not recognized. i got an error code of 2000-0141 if this helps.  it is an SATA seagate drive 750 gb. any help is so appreciated.

after dell splash screen it says:

No Boot device available

SATA0: Installed

SATA1: Installed

Edited by casmik, 27 March 2013 - 11:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

I would open the case...disconnect the hard drive...reconnect the hard drive...then try to boot.  My guess would be that one of the cables may be loosened now.

Louis

#3 casmik

casmik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

I have tried that, even tried a new cable. Still not saying no boot device available.

#4 casmik

casmik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Not sure why that posted twice, sorry.

Mod Edit:  Removed one - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 30 March 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#5 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

try booting from a live disk, a windows recovery disk. anything! you don't have to intall it, but just make sure that the onboard device controller isn't ruined. if the pc will boot anything!- then you can automatically infer you have a bad drive. (provided resetting it did not work)

Try parted magic to see if you can scan the hard drive and recover lost files and reinstall your media on a new drive.

#6 casmik

casmik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

I can boot from the Vista inallation cd and other bootable cd's so I am thinking somehow the hard drive got sizzled when it was jarred. I've done worse and never had this happen but it seems to have happened now.  this parted magic will possibly help me retrieve some personal files my niece is crossing her fingers i can access? she has graduation pics, etc.  If i can somehow copy those files onto a cd or flash drive that would at least make the news not so bad.  thank you for your time and help with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users