Hi, all you computer geniuses!
I have noticed that Win7 does not automatically remove the notification icons of uninstalled programs from the notification tray. I found instructions online to do it manually. I tried it and it works just fine. My question is, could a batch file be created the execute the steps and if so, how would it be written? Here are the steps (from www.ghacks.net):
Here is how you can remove old notification icons from the Windows 7 system tray.
- Press [Windows R], type [regedit] and hit [enter]
- Navigate to the Registry key HKCU \Software \Classes \LocalSettings \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \TrayNotify
- Make a backup of the Registry key by right-clicking on TrayNotify and selecting Export.
- Now delete the following two Registry keys: IconStreams and PastIconsStream
- Open the Windows Task Manager with [Ctrl Shift Esc]
- Terminate the explorer.exe process
- Click on File > New Task Run and enter explorer.exe to reload the explorer process
So the file would have to create the backup, delete the correct registry keys, and then kill and restart explorer.exe.
Any ideas? (C'mon - I know you can do it!)