Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AC '97/HD Audio Compatibility Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ebrid001

ebrid001

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

My old computer had on-board AC '97 audio and I adjusted the BIOS setting to use a Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE card instead. 

My new build has on-board HD Audio and when I connected the power supply to the case's front panel,it warmed specifically to use the HD Audio power supply plug,NOT the AC '97 power supply plug. I hooked it up correctly.

Turns out the old Soundblaster Audigy SE sound card is MUCH better than the on-board HD Audio.

So,is the Soundblaster Audigy SE sound card AC' 97? Does it make any difference if it is on is not?

Can I safely install the the Soundblaster card in the new motherboard without creating a problem?

Will the light green headphone jack on the front panel of the case(the HD Audio power supply  connection) route through the sound card when I change the BIOS or will it not work or short out,or what?

-------------------

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yes you can use the sound card if there are drivers for the OS you plan to use. Disable onboard sound in bios. Front panel ports will not work unless there is a place on the card to plug them in. Alternately you rewire the front panel with a 1/8 mini and plug it in the back of the card.

Edited by caperdog, 09 April 2013 - 01:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users