Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird system beep, not a virus of any kind

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

It has actually happened a few times now this year and late last year.

I have my system sounds currently muted so do not waken anyone. But out of the blue all of a suden I hear a "Beep" no warning no nothing, just a plain and simple low beep.

I do not know if I should restart the laptop or if it is windows telling me to update anything or what.

Any thoughts ?

I know it is not a virus because I scan this laptop every sunday morning my time {at 0300 hours} using MSE

EDIT:

My system is Windows XP Professional with SP3 with initgrated audio and video and is also a Dell Laditude D620

Edited by Dragongirl, 26 March 2013 - 11:08 PM.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

A single low beep is normal which means the computer is ok.

Tekken

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

So it is basically saying "Everything's clear captain" ? Oh good, so I need not worry. Much thanks :)

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

If you wish, you can turn off the Windows beep by modifying the registry. Save the following as a .reg file and double click to import.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound]
"Beep"="No"
"ExtendedSounds"="No"

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

Before considering performing any suggested regsitry edit...please backup your registry.  Any suggestion of a registry edit should always include such suggestion to backup before executing.

Back up the registry - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-MY/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

How to backup the Windows XP Registry - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

I'll take hamluis's suggestion one step further.

The registry can be thought of as the central repository of data configuration, The Windows Registry is used to store much of the information and settings for software programs, hardware devices, user preferences, operating system configurations, etc.  If an error is made in the process of editing the registry it could result in rendering your computer inoperable.  This is why it is so important to back up the registry before doing any editing.

Edited by dc3, 27 March 2013 - 12:31 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:34 AM

The main thing I was worried and confused about was, is it supposed to make that beep even when system sounds are muted to begin with ? Since I now know it is supposed to do that and I can turn them off if I want to do so. everythings good.

Thanks guys :)

#8 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

OK, so, I turn off the extended sounds and the windows Beep, but it also killed my sound settings for my computer as well. So Ii turn it back on, now it beeps EVERY time I select something. Its not supposed to do that is it ?

EDIT: Now my entire sound configureation is screwed up. Opening programs used to have a notice of them opening before they opened, now nothing sounds off. Closing works just as normal, restoring up and down also is borked too, I do not know what I did, but I am starting to really hate this. My theme was a mix of stargate and Marx Brothers. Now it is just crappy and broken and I do not want to reformat anything to try and fix it. Nor do I want to pay anyone to try and fix what I broke, I want to fix it myself, with aid however.

EDIT 2: After all said above I may have figured out my problem, Everything has to be lowercase. So far this was my trouble. I had labled the external sounds and windows beep as 'No', when it should simply be in lowercase as 'no' Once I fixed this I was able to fix my sound troubles.

Now then, speaking of sounds and audio, Is there a complete list where I may view/sample the windows system sounds ?

Edited by Dragongirl, 30 March 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#9 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Hmm. Mine are No and it works. I doubt case matters.

To see the Windows sounds go to control panel, sounds and audio devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users