Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to reformat Windows XP?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fruit

Fruit

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Hi,

I was advised to reformat and reinstall my computer after a trojan backdoor infection.

I don't have much experience with reformatting, so I'm not sure how to do this. I have 2 CDs from purchasing the product. One is for System Recovery and the other for Application Recovery. I was not sure if "recovery" is the same thing as reformat..

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

First, make sure you have backed up your important data. Then boot from the System Recovery disk using the boot key. The disk should format.

#3 Fruit

Fruit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

The boot key?

I was also advised to back up my data with a CD/DVD. Not really sure how to use it because I've only used usb to do so in the past.

Sorry, I'm inexperienced and I appreciate all the help.

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Yeah, most computers have a boot key, Mines F12. It's visible if your computer displays a "splash" screen hiding all the boot info and you have disabled it in the BIOS. Mine's F12 I believe and the info for it is displayed at the bottom of the screen along with the key for entering the BIOS, etc. It may be in your manual or the manufacturer's website.

You can also go into the BIOS and change the boot order if needed so that your CD-ROM is the first boot device.

You can back up to a USB and you should be doing so daily.

bios-boot-menu-message.png

bios.jpg

bios-key-at-boot-up.jpg

Edited by .X., 26 March 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#5 Fruit

Fruit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Ah I see, thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users