Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about an infected flash memory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shinmarwan

shinmarwan

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

in front of me now a flash memory from a friend

now i want to plug it but i am afraid that if there any viruses they are waiting for this chance

i mean is there any way to prevent being infected while pluging the flash memory ????

i am afraid that any virus can slip out although i have eset smart security 6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

To perform this safely follow these steps: As you insert the drive hold down the left shift key (not sure if the right one does the same function). Be sure to hold down the shift key until the drive is recognized by Windows explorer. This will suppress any auto start applications that might be present on the thumb drive. Once the drive is inserted and recognized you can scan the drive with your ESET Smart Security.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 shinmarwan

shinmarwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

To perform this safely follow these steps: As you insert the drive hold down the left shift key (not sure if the right one does the same function). Be sure to hold down the shift key until the drive is recognized by Windows explorer. This will suppress any auto start applications that might be present on the thumb drive. Once the drive is inserted and recognized you can scan the drive with your ESET Smart Security.

Hmmmmm .. will try

thank you

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

You're welcome.

Also I believe that Auto Run is disabled by default in Windows 7. But it's not a bad idea to be safe and use this procedure if you're not sure.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 shinmarwan

shinmarwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

You're welcome.

Also I believe that Auto Run is disabled by default in Windows 7. But it's not a bad idea to be safe and use this procedure if you're not sure.

ok  :)

thank you again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users