Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless network adapter not connecting to networks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 caladbolg146168

caladbolg146168

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hey there guys, looking for a little bit of help on a wireless network adapter problem.

On 24 Mar, I was connected to the internet prior to leaving for work.  As always, I had not shut down my computer.  When I came home, my laptop was disconnected from the internet and will not connect to any wireless networks.  I have tried connecting to four different open wireless networks, and none of them will connect even though I have 4-5 bars.  I live in a dormitory, so the only available internet connections for me are wireless, public networks.  I have also successfully connected to the networks with a friends laptop (similar model to mine), my cellphone and my kindle.  If I run the network troubleshooter after it resets the wireless adapter I get the message "Problem with wireless adapter or access point" Not fixed and an 'X' in a red circle.

So far here is what I have tried to resolve the issue (in no particular order, though all steps have been attempted multiple times):

1) Disable and re-enable the Wireless Adapter

2) Updated drivers

3) Uninstalled the Wireless adapter, deleted the previous drivers, rebooted the computer and installed the Wireless Adapter with the new drivers.

4) Flushed the DNS

5) Released the IP

6) Used both the fix-it tool and manual methods of resetting the TCP/IP protocols to the default.

7) Verified the TCP/IPv4 settings are correctly configured for the network (Obtain IP and DNS automatically)

8) Followed the steps listed on the various Microsoft help pages such as "Why can't I connect to the internet," "How do i fix network adapter problems" and another similarly titled section that I cannot remember the name of.

9) Uninstalled my Anti-virus and Anti-malware programs

10) Turned my laptop off and left it alone overnight

11) Attempted to restore the system to my 2 most recent recovery points (1 week and 2 weeks ago) both of which failed due to an error that I can track down if necessary.

I can successfully connect to the internet if I use my cell phone as a tether (connected to the same wireless networks) and using the integrated bluetooth as a bridge.

I use a Asus G74SX.  It comes installed with an Atheros AR90002WB-1NG and also own a Belkin F5D08055 both of which have the same issue.  The Belkin is a USB wireless adapter, and works on my friends laptop just fine.

I hope this gives you enough information, I am at a complete loss on what to do.  I did contact ASUS, whose tech recommend that I wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows... something I would like to avoid if possible

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

Seems like you have tried everything that I would think to try.

At this point, while a pain in the rear, you maybe down to trying a reinstallation of Windows unless someone else can suggestion something else.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Did you make sure the Wireless isn't turned off by the hot key or the switch on the laptop? According to a Google search (Couldn't find the English Manual on support.asus.com) the hot key is FN + F2 depending on the bios settings.

Edit 2: Manual Owl Had A manual listed for the G74SX-A1. It confirms the FN + F2

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 April 2013 - 08:05 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 WhdevL

WhdevL

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

1. Check to see if wifi radio switch is off.
2. You shouldnt need the Belkin adapter unless it has a higher capability than the Atheros built-in wireless adapter.
3. No need to wipe hdd, you can simply reinstall Windows without a wipe to fix any severe registry problems etc.....
After all that, if it still doesnt work, youll have to back up and do a wipe, unfortunately.
P.s. make sure the dorm didnt initiate mac filtering....never know when they make changes.....and I know you said it worked on ur friends laptop but you never know, plus check your usb slots, device manager will say everythings working fine but yet there are times when a problem with one of my usb slots doesnt show
I apologize for this post getting a lil scattered lol

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

Windows will shut down the unused USB ports/devices to conserve power if the feature is not disabled.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 WhdevL

WhdevL

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

An annoying feature for me considering I primarily use a desktop

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

I forgot to say on laptops Windows will turn off usb ports not usually on a PC.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users