Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amd Athlon Sse/3dnow! Compatability

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Thor3599

Thor3599

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:05 PM

[font=Times New Roman][size=7]Hello all. New to BC. Seems to be a very useful resource. I'm hoping that those of you who are regulars will be able to reply to this message and help me with a problem.

I have an older PC. A AMD Athlon, model 4, 1.0Ghz. cpu loaded with the original BIOS. I recently bought a new game, DDO, and cannot play it on my system. I get an error message that says: "SSE is required but is not present. Check your motherboard documentation to see if SSE can be anabled." I have done lots of research, have updated the BIOS from Compaq, (it's a Compaq machine), and spent endless hours searching the internet. I need to know definitively if my cpu will support SSE, not just MMX and 3DNow!.

Please send me a reply if you can help at all.

Many thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:14 AM

Thor3599,

I did a google search with the information you provided, and found this quote.

The next revision of the Athlon was basically a .18-micron version of the old one (Orion core, AKA "A Athlon", AKA "K75"). It ran from 500MHz all the way to 1GHz, and like the Pluto it had a 100MHz front side bus and didn't support the SSE instruction set. All of them had 512KB of L2 cache that didn't run at full speed, but the speed varied from model to model; the L2 cache on 500~700MHz Orions ran at 1/2 speed, 750~850MHz Orions' L2 cache ran at 2/5 speed (eww), and 900MHz~1GHz Orions' L2 cache ran at 1/3 speed (ewwww). All of them were Slot A too, I think.

Please see this link, for the entire contents of the post. To find it in it's entirety, scroll down to the third post by SDA posted on Apr 11 2004, 06:47 AM. The quote is the 7th paragrah within in that post.

Be (SSE Supported) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users