Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive failure message

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hikkchik

hikkchik

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

I just had a computer built a week ago and I'm getting a popup message saying my hard drive is failing.  Is there anything in my computer that could be causing this? 

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, AMD FX, 2133MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, CrossFireX Ready (M5A97 LE R2.0)

AMD FD4300WMHKBOX FX-4300 Four-Core 3.8GHz AM3+ Processor - AM3+, Quad-Core, 3.8GHz, 8MB, 95W, Unlocked

Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM - PC10666, 1333MHz, 4096MB

Galaxy GeForce GTX 650 GC 65NGH8DL7AXX Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0(x16), 1x Dual-link DVI-D, 1x Dual-link DVI-I, 1x Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Overclocked, Dual-Slot

LG GH24NS72B Internal 24X Multi Drive - SecurDisc Technology, 2MB Buffer, SATA

Kingwin ABT-650MM Maximum Series ATX Power Supply - 650W, 120mm Fan, Single +12V Rail

Cougar Solution Black Steel Gameing ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - 1x120mm Cougar Turbine Hyper-Spin Bearing Fan, USB 3.0 port, Water Cooling Ready, Supports 320mm Long VGA Card, Air Filter Included

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium GFC-02050 Operating System Software - 64bit, DVD

WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB Desktop Hard Drive - 3.5", SATA, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache

Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, Intel XMP Ready, Unbuffered

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MAC590

MAC590

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Where are you seeing this message? In the OS as a popup or are you getting a BSOD ( Blue Screen of Death )

What exactly does it say.

Edited by MAC590, 26 March 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#3 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

It is very possible, and realistic that your hard drive could be failing. Windows 7 has the ability to detect a failing hard drive and will notify you.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that HDD manufactures expect a failure rate of about 10% of new hard drives within the first year. Its possible that you could be in that 10%.

If you want to be certain and in order to send it in to WD for replacement you will need to download and run Western Digital's Data Lifeguard diagnostic tool. you can download it from here. Run the diagnostic and if the drive is failing it will give you an error code that you will need when you create your RMA with WD.

Also its worth mentioning to make sure you backup all of your information as soon as possible just in case the drive totally kicks the bucket.

#4 hikkchik

hikkchik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

It is very possible, and realistic that your hard drive could be failing. Windows 7 has the ability to detect a failing hard drive and will notify you.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that HDD manufactures expect a failure rate of about 10% of new hard drives within the first year. Its possible that you could be in that 10%.

If you want to be certain and in order to send it in to WD for replacement you will need to download and run Western Digital's Data Lifeguard diagnostic tool. you can download it from here. Run the diagnostic and if the drive is failing it will give you an error code that you will need when you create your RMA with WD.

Also its worth mentioning to make sure you backup all of your information as soon as possible just in case the drive totally kicks the bucket.

I'm fairly sure it's really failing, as the popup window doesn't have any link to click to pay for software to fix the issue the way malware usually does.  I've already arranged to have the harddrive exchanged.  I'm just wondering if there are incompatibility issues with the other hardware that could have caused it.  I don't know much about computers, as if that's not obvious.

The WD diagnostic tool won't even complete the test, so that's another reason I think the hard drive is bad.

#5 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm just wondering if there are incompatibility issues with the other hardware that could have caused it. 

Honestly in modern machines incompatibility wont cause a failure of a component. If its not compatible, it typically just wont work. 

#6 hikkchik

hikkchik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

I'm just wondering if there are incompatibility issues with the other hardware that could have caused it. 

Honestly in modern machines incompatibility wont cause a failure of a component. If its not compatible, it typically just wont work. 

Thank you, that's what I was needing to know.  So it's just a fluke and hopefully the new harddrive will work.  *fingers crossed*

#7 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

You're welcome. I'm confident that its a fluke and hopefully the new drive will last much longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users