Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

Hi,

My Friend is Looking a for a  new Wireless Router+modem to buy its a 2 storey House hence the need of Wireless Connectivity.....

so any product the experts here suggest is a good buy? 

Money is no issue for him

Edited by midou1994, 26 March 2013 - 09:33 AM.

Midou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

What type of walls does he have in his home? Are they Sheetrock or lath and plaster? Believe it or not it makes a big difference what the walls are constructed of.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

Hi thanks for a speedy reply hmm well lets me ask him and I will get back to you ASAP

Midou

#4 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

"In His word"

Normal brick wall with cement and plaster

Midou

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

I take that to mean the exterior walls. I should have been more clear. What is the construction of the interior walls? This will determine how well the wireless signal is transmitted and received.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Standard ones used in Construction

Midou

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

The first thing your friend needs to do is check with his ISP to find out what devices they approve for use. Sometimes they have an approved device list online.

Out of curiousity, who is the ISP?

#8 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

ISP -BSNL

Approved Device list well I will ask him to check that out...

Midou

#9 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hi he just got off with CC they say all modems are compaitable   :whistle:

BTW I seriously doubt that The guys at CC are recommending that he can still rent a modem or purchase one from Netgear/Dlink/LinkSys

Midou

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Well, 'standard for construction' doesn't help me. The standard here in the US was lath and plaster up until the mid to late 50's. After that sheetrock became the standard. So if the home were here in the US, the answer would become age of home dependent. Anything older than say the 1940's and you're likely looking at lath and plaster and a shorter range for signal and probably need range extenders and possibly directional antennas. If it's sheetrock placement of the base unit and area of use becomes more of a factor as you may not need the extra devices to boost signal and range.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#11 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Hi 

His home is in Bangalore India..

Well the interior wall are made of Bricks Cement/Concrete plastering and 2-3 coats of paint

Midou

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

He's going to have a difficult time with the density of construction material. It's going to be quite difficult to get decent signal strength thorough brick and mortar for any significant distance. He's going to need to utilize signal strength meters which can be iphone or android phone apps or standalone tools. Then map out where he will use the the devices wirelessly and focus the signals in those areas.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#13 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

hmmm...... well he previously had Huawei modem from Bsnl but its nearly 3 years old gets heated up and frequently get disconnected hence the new one......

He has not mentioned any issue he faced with connectivity   

Midou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users