Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie 6.0 Sp2 Keeps Beeping For Each Advertisement

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 frqs

frqs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:48 PM

I have installed a brand new computer with XP SP1. Every web sites pages I go to produce a series of two-tone beeps which seems to be related to the number of advertisement frames present on the web page. I have tried the following to get rid of the beeps:

1) Upgraded to XP SP2
It did not get rid of the beeps

2) Tools/Pop-Up Blocker: turn off pop-up blocker in IE options (to ensure no pop-ups are blocked)
Turning off Pop-Up Blocker did not get rid of the beeps

3) Tools/Internet Options/Security/Internet Zone/Custom Level/Miscellaneous section/Use Pop-Up Blocker is set to Disable
Use Pop-Up Blockers set to "disable" did not get rid of the beeps

4) Start/Settings/Control Panel/Sounds and check the Sound theme (Windows Classic). No sounds was close to the beeps I get except maybe the "information bar" wave sound (but not quite!). I turned off all sounds anyway and tried to access some web pages... darn!
Turning off all sounds did not get rid of the beeps.

5) Zone Alarm Pro Privacy settings are set to Ad Blocking: OFF (Proof that ad blocking is not active is that I can see every advertisement on the web pages)
Turning off ad blocking did not get rid of the beeps

6) Installed Firefox and accessed the same web pages: no beeping (That proved that IE is the culprit)

But I need IE for many of my software which run only in IE. Last week I was still using a 5-year old laptop Inspiron 4000 512-MB running veeeery sloooowly XP Pro with IE SP2. There was no beeping whatsoever but I remember changing someting in IE settings a very long time ago when I first installed it to get rid of all these beeping noises. I'm considering letting go of my brand new Inspiron 6000 with 2GB RAM to get back to my old laptop. :thumbsup:
I run XP SP2, Zone Alarm Pro and Pest Patrol. I have gone through every settings possible to find if any have sound-enable somehow. I could find none. Short of muting all volume sounds on this new computer, I don't know anymore where to look at to find that setting to change IE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frqs

frqs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:57 AM

Well.. nothing like being annoyed like crazy to force someone to find the answer. PestPatrol! The cookie patrol has a beeping sound enabled anytime it blocks a cookie! Right-click on PestPatrol symbol in the system tray, choose Cookie Patrol, then choose disable sound. Aaaaah!... silence finally!
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users