Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C drive space getting full with no reason

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hoseini

hoseini

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

My system:windows xp pro pack 3
antivirus:Kaspersky internet security 2013
Since last two weeks my C drive mysteriously getting full while I have not down loaded or added anything to the computer.
Once I compressed "documents and settings" in which the bulk of GB.s were and freed around 20 GB,(3 days before) and now without anything added, my free space in C drive became 6 GB.
I made a full scan by my Kaspersky but apparently everything is OK.
Can anybody advise me what is wrong and what should I do.
Many thanks
Hoseini  

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Microsoft Windows Mini-Guides to the more appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 March 2013 - 08:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

Use a tool like WinDirStat, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/search/?keyword=WinDirStat , to actually see where your space is being taken up.

FWIW:  Just because an installed AV...fails to note any malware...that's no indication that the system is malware-free.  There is no one app...that can scan for/detect/neutralize...the myriad of malware that can find itself on a system.

Rather than compressing files/folders...why not simply get more drive space via another hard drive, either internal or external?

Louis

#3 hoseini

hoseini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:48 AM

Hello Louis

Many thanks for your advice, I down loaded WinDirStat and through it I understood that more than 50 gb is under my Kaspersky AV.So I uninstalled that program and everything became normal.

Hoseini

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:33 AM

So does that mean you no longer have an anti virus? 

#5 hoseini

hoseini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

Hello Frankp316

I did not want to be very talkative In the previous post, but now I tell you the whole story.

I had kaspersky internet security 2012, then received information from Kaspersky that I can upgrade to their 2013 version free, and I did. from that time I started to notice some odd behaviors in my computer such as slowness. until I found out that my C drive is completely full. As I said when by using  WinDirStat I understood that almost all of the space of my "document and setting" in the C drive has been devoured by Kaspersky 2013. I am still  really puzzled that how 50 gb of data was in my Kaspersky internet security 2013( probably infected by some sort of malware). Any way, after removing that program now I inserted the Kaspersky 2012 CD and installed it again and at the time being it is updating itself.I hope the problem related only to 2013 and not to 2012 version.

Hoseini 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users