Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% Full Hard Drive - Yes or no?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:45 AM

Hi, Just wondering if it is a good idea to keep some harddrive space free? I read that you should keep 10% free. Not talking about C drive btw I keep that half empty.

But that would mean on my 3tb storage drive I need to keep like 300GB free, Currently I have a 3tb drive with 10gb free, Any issues?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MAC590

MAC590

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

If it is not your main drive I would not worry about it. 3tb and you have 10gb free. WOW  :lmao:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

To clarify...

In the old days, when users only had a single, small hard drive...it was determined that Windows requires 10-15% free space on the Windows partition to function effectively/normally. 

In today's world, the size of the drive is not the important factor...it's the size of the partition on which Windows is installed...which is the key.  As long as that partition is still a reasonable size (judgment call, I'd say 320GB or less), the rule re 10-15% still governs. 

Users who do not break these tremendously large drives of today...down into smaller, more manageable partitions...cannot be expected to have the same rules applied.  Take a 500GB Windows partition.  10% of that would be 50GB, which certainly should meet the free space requirments of Windows.  To assume that Windows needs free space which is larger than the install of Windows itself...is just not logical.

IMO...the smart thing for any user to do when using a large hard drive with any Windows version...is to create various partitions on that drive.  A Windows partition of 30GB or so will do fine for XP, while I might double that space (60GB or so) for Win 7.  Having a Windows partition larger than that has no advantages that I can perceive...and has the disadvantage of making any system backup, chkdsk /r, or defrag operation...take much longer than it would on a smaller partition.

You can also move all data files (videos, documents, music, etc.) from the Windows partition, since they are not essential to Windows functioning.  Originally, they were stored on the same partition/same drive...because that's all there was.  We are long past that era in computer-time.

Louis

The only problem with these larger drives

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users