Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How many of you don't use real-time antivirus software and are vocal about it?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: How many of you don't use real-time antivirus software and are vocal about it? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use a real-time antivirus software?

1. Yes (14 votes [77.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

2. No (4 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:52 AM

Was just wondering how many people like me exist. So....how many of you prefer not to use any real-time antivirus software in spite of knowing the risks? 

And I'm talking about real-time, not on-demand(which scans files when you want it to - like MBAM free, which I use myself).

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

While everyone is entitled (not) to run whatever program they want on their computer, I really want to add a word of caution here.

Not having any form of real-time protection is putting the safety and security of your computer on the line. Prevention is very important, and a safe surfing behavior, being prudent when opening mail, not clicking unknown links are all good ways to avoid getting infected. However malware is distributed using a variety of methods. Think for example about zero-day exploits for widely used applications like Java or Adobe Reader (not to mention Windows itself).
Most security products these days have one form or another of heuristic/behavioral detection which will alert you when malware is attempting to infect your computer this way (of course this may differ from product to product). If you have no real-time protection running the first sign of infection may be the ransom screen that tells you your computer is locked and you need to pay to unlock it. :whistle:

Again, its everyone's right to decide whether or not to take the risk, but personally I prefer to err on the side of caution.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

If I might add, being vocal about undertaking risky online behavior, and computer use, is one thing. Encouraging others to follow said behavior cannot be condoned or endorsed by Bleeping Computer.

Bleeping Computer is in the business of helping others rid themselves of malware. Plus advocating safe computer use and online activity. Forgoing the use of an active or real time anti-virus is at it's core the antithesis of what Bleeping Computer stands for.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Also agree  with the above about a Windows machine and want to add that MBAM is NOT an Antivirus but an Antimalware tool.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

http://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/20818081-Does-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-replace-antivirus-software-

Why You Need An Antivirus on Windows, No Matter How Careful You Are

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

While I would never pretend to be in the same league as Elise, Animal, or boopme, I would agree with their statements. I would also ask... Why would you want to run your computer that way ?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#6 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

While everyone is entitled (not) to run whatever program they want on their computer, I really want to add a word of caution here.

Not having any form of real-time protection is putting the safety and security of your computer on the line. Prevention is very important, and a safe surfing behavior, being prudent when opening mail, not clicking unknown links are all good ways to avoid getting infected. However malware is distributed using a variety of methods. Think for example about zero-day exploits for widely used applications like Java or Adobe Reader (not to mention Windows itself).
Most security products these days have one form or another of heuristic/behavioral detection which will alert you when malware is attempting to infect your computer this way (of course this may differ from product to product). If you have no real-time protection running the first sign of infection may be the ransom screen that tells you your computer is locked and you need to pay to unlock it. :whistle:

Again, its everyone's right to decide whether or not to take the risk, but personally I prefer to err on the side of caution.

I'm aware of all the risks there are. But I still prefer not using an antivirus software. It's just that for the kind of guy I am, an antivirus seems unnecessary to me. I mainly use Windows only for gaming and casual web browsing, all the important stuff - banking, shopping, etc. go on Linux, again no antivirus needed there. Still, I perform an online weekly/biweekly scan by ESET to make sure nothing's creepy going on, on my Windows installation - but even if there is, it won't cause me much damage since there's no sensitive stuff.

I'll rehash my view one more time:-

They slow down my computer - now don't tell me they don't, every anti-virus software does, some to a great extent and some quite a bit. And I haven't got a single malware/virus infection in about more than the past 7-8 months. I don't feel the need. Besides, I have backups of every important thing on my computer. And I can afford to format my PC or take some efforts to clean my computer if it gets infected(which it doesn't usually). But I cannot, just cannot afford a slow PC. wink.gif

If I might add, being vocal about undertaking risky online behavior, and computer use, is one thing. Encouraging others to follow said behavior cannot be condoned or endorsed by Bleeping Computer.

Bleeping Computer is in the business of helping others rid themselves of malware. Plus advocating safe computer use and online activity. Forgoing the use of an active or real time anti-virus is at it's core the antithesis of what Bleeping Computer stands for.

I'm not an employee of Bleeping Computer. So me encouraging or endorsing view is not equal to BC doing it. It's a free world - you can have your view, I can have mine. I'm not forcing anybody. I'm just expressing my opinion, and what can be wrong with expressing one's opinion freely?

Read above if you'd like to understand fully what I mean.

Also agree  with the above about a Windows machine and want to add that MBAM is NOT an Antivirus but an Antimalware tool.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

http://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/20818081-Does-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-replace-antivirus-software-

Why You Need An Antivirus on Windows, No Matter How Careful You Are

I know. I mentioned it because there are people who consider MBAM antivirus, not because I do. It's just that I keep MBAM installed, just in case. And I also perform online scans every week or two. It seems enough for me.

While I would never pretend to be in the same league as Elise, Animal, or boopme, I would agree with their statements. I would also ask... Why would you want to run your computer that way ?

Antivirus software, more specifically, real-time antivirus software slows down your computer, every anti-virus does, at least a bit. Or they can't function - they need memory, CPU power,etc. And I don't like that. I like as less software as possible running in real time, if you know what I mean.

..;)...

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

it won't cause me much damage

It can cause damage to other people.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

I'm not an employee of Bleeping Computer. So me encouraging or endorsing view is not equal to BC doing it. It's a free world - you can have your view, I can have mine. I'm not forcing anybody. I'm just expressing my opinion, and what can be wrong with expressing one's opinion freely?

Yes this is very accurate you are not an employee nor representative of Bleeping Computer. You do however take a position that Bleeping Computer does not agree with. We are fully within our rights to state we do not condone the practice you mention. You are free to state your opinion. By allowing it to remain on Bleeping Computer's pages means that we are not denying your right to state you opinion. You are not forcing anyone, you are correct. Not stating dissenting opinion and our position is irresponsible as a security and malware assistance website. Silence on the matter would imply concurrence with your opinion.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

Yes this is very accurate you are not an employee nor representative of Bleeping Computer. You do however take a position that Bleeping Computer does not agree with. We are fully within our rights to state we do not condone the practice you mention. You are free to state your opinion. By allowing it to remain on Bleeping Computer's pages means that we are not denying your right to state you opinion. You are not forcing anyone, you are correct. Not stating dissenting opinion and our position is irresponsible as a security and malware assistance website. Silence on the matter would imply concurrence with your opinion.

I should agree with that on you. Good Day, then! :)

SYSTEM SPECS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users