Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Services And Speeds T1 Ect.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:29 PM

My computer teacher is wanting to upgrade the internet speed for the school. Currently we have a T1 LAN connection. He is wanting to upgrade to T3 but I am wondering if there is anything faster than that available for school networks. I have heard of a internet speed that connects at terabyte speeds but I believe that is for the military only. He is getting new computers at the end of this year. I highly doubt that he would be able to afford the internet upgrade after he gets the new computers. So he is planning to get the internet speed upgraded next year. But if I can convince him he might be able to get the higher internet speed. I would have to clean up all the computers over the summer but that is ok. I am a computer tech. Student for the highschool. I would really appreciate it if this topic could be moved if it is in the wrong place.

Edited by willmon18, 05 April 2006 - 01:30 PM.

William Montgomery Walters

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

After T3 you get OC-3 and OC-12 and so on, which is fiber optics. The OC-3 is 155 Mbps, while OC-3072, which is still under development, has a speed of 159 Gbps. There are other experimental connections which are up at several terabits in speed. The OC-3 costs, depending on your location, between $15,000 and $100,000 per month. There are also additional cost in laying down the optical cables.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 willmon18

willmon18
  • Topic Starter

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:35 PM

Thank you for the information. I am sure that my teacher will just stick with the T3 LAN once he gets it. But I will show him the other things that he has available after that. But I am sure the price will kill him and he will not be upgrading anyfurther than T3. Although he was talking about fiberoptics. In fact he does have a few fiber optic cables hooked up to some of his network hubs. I have no clue where he gets all the money for it. We are a small school and he says he is good at getting grants. We just got new computers like a year or so ago and he got a grant and he is going to get new computers. I guess he will have enough money for something.
William Montgomery Walters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users