Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I move programs and data from a HDD to a SSD?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Replacement

Replacement

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

How do I move programs and data from a HDD to a SSD?

I am in the process of upgrading a computer and I have a new SSD that I want to run the OS and as many of the programs as possible. The old HDD still works and I still want to use it in this computer. The old HDD is 1 tb and has about 350gb used up. The new SSD is a samsung 840 pro that is 128gb. Obviously it is too small to have all of the info on there.

I downloaded EaseUS Partition manager, but now I do not know how to go about selecting files to transfer over to the new SSD.

Can anyone help me out with this? My tech level is fairly low when it comes to software, putting the hardware together was not an issue...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

You have a few options depending on how you configured the SSD at install.  If the SSD is where Windows is at, there really isn't anything you can do aside from uninstalling the programs and reinstalling them on the SSD.  If the SSD is not Windows, you can copy the needed programs over to the SSD, then change its drive letter to whatever it was on the old drive since Windows looks at drive paths.  When I upgraded from a standard drive to an SSD, I chose the first option then cloned the drive but you may not be able to do this.

3939.png

#3 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Appmove

ssdboostmanager

SymMover

Syncback